Confirmed...WINFS will NOT appear in Longhorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekking

Solid State Member
I was at the AMD/Microsoft Tech Tour yesterday in Atlanta and wanted to know more about the new version of Windows. I had heard about WINFS and that seemed to be one of the biggest improvements for the new version. I had heard that they may not include WINFS in Longhorn. They did, in fact, confirm that it will not be in the initial release of the next version of Windows, but that they may introduce it at a later time into the OS. So now I am wondering what is there going to be that will be more efficient in the next version of Windows?

its hard to put efficient and windows or microsoft in the same sentence. the new version will have a more flashy desktop, and take more resources to do it. i think thats good? lol

It's been over 4 years since microsoft released windows xp, and even today they are coming out with "cricical updates" and finding big security holes. I can't wait to see how the next version runs.

No I am the authority on longhorn or I would like to think myself as that. You are mistaken WinFS will not apear in the first release of Longhorn in 2006 but WinFS will apear in the 2007 release. 2007 is the real Longhorn Server ships out as well. What do you gain from longhorn continuation of software. Avolon, Indigo, Office 12, OneCare These softwares are enough to ship over to longhorn.

winfs leaks way too much memory. MS haven't figured it out yet. when they do, it will be released

WinFS has till christmas and it's in beta so of course it isn't perfect but everything leaks memory a bit doesn't it? I have yet to see "perfect coding".

Meh...i'm not real concerned about Longhorn. I am very happy with my Windows XP, and doubt that Longhorn will offer any great improvements besides a 3D desktop which will just eat up resources anyways. I wish MS would quit dumbing down their OSes and making them more "media oriented." Include that stuff in a plus pack if you want, but its an OPERATING SYSTEM...not a magical multimedia adventure :p

Well thats your own opinion I see longhorn as a great system that will push windows to the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom