PC shuts off!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiggysmb

Beta member
It is so frustrating!

I have used Windows 2000 for a few years on many PCs and never had a single OS problem. Last year I built a new PC, Asus mobo and Intel Celeron 2.4 Ghz. I installed PCCillin 2003 and within a day or two it was shutting off on its own. I assumed it was PCCillin, so I reformatted my HD, reinstalled Win2000 and switched to Norton, but had the same issue.

Thinking it may just be hardware incompatibilities, like a memory or interference issue, I bought a barebone system shortly after with a Chaintech mobo and AMD 64 3400 cpu. The PC ran great for a week with PCCillin, then when I finally started all the windows updates, the PC would shut off during Update installs! I completed the updates, and the PC shut off every time opened IE or Nero. Again, I reformatted & reinstalled windows 2003, same problem.

Also, I am using a battery/power conditioner so I donÂ’t think it can be an electrical problem. I even tried 4 different power supplies, thinking that may be the culprit.

If anyone has any experience/solution with this problem, I would love to hear about it!

In my experience unexpected complete shutdowns with no warning is due to over heating of the CPU or GPU (graphics processor)

Intels tend to run cooler than AMDs but have a much lower tolerance for heat (I think their top is something like 50-60*C)

If you are using a stock heatsink/fan on your processor, you might want to consider buying a better combo (my suggestion is anything by Zalman)

Ok. Event logging was enabled and my PC just rebooted on me so let me list the 3 events logged, all at the same exact time:

Event ID 1001 - The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000001e (0xc0000005, 0x000049a0, 0x00000000, 0x000049a0). Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195]. A dump was saved in: C:\WINNT\Minidump\Mini061805-02.dmp.

Event ID 6005 - The Event log service was started.

Event ID 6009 - Microsoft (R) Windows 2000 (R) 5.0 2195 Service Pack 4 Uniprocessor Free.

I noticed most of my other unexpected reboots are from that 'bugcheck', and a some were from my DVD drive. "The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block. "

I also just noticed 'Windows XP x64' was released. I do have a AMD x64 system running Windows 2000, I dont know if that would be a problem...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

in my experience.. I had 2 reasons for sudden shutoffs.. or sudden reboots...

1) PSU problems....

2) Memory/device/System problems

but for the latter, the reason for sudden shutdowns are actually in your settings.. i can't remember exactly right now (and i dont know win2000), but you can set windows to NOT SHUTDOWN during an error.. by default, windows either shutdown or reboot when a certain critical error happens.. NO BSOD .. but you can set it to NOT do that and stay at BSOD.. and you manually shutdown or reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom