good core for 754?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenken

Baseband Member
Whats a good amd cpu chip core. it doesnt look like san diego or venice make for 754?

y u getting a 754..? 939 are same price, almost. get a venice 939, they oc very well

If your into ocing, the Sempron3100+ with SSE3 instructions is pretty good. Can get to 2.7 on air with DFI.

Don't get a Sempron, thats AMD's equivalent of a Celeron. The lack of 64-bit and an L2 cache really hurts performance. Everybody hates socket 754, but its really not that bad. If you don't plan on upgrading your CPU yet keeping your motherboard, there is no harm in getting 754. Get the Clawhammer core. It has 1MB L2 cache which will make it scream.

Btw, the l2 cache doesn't hurt performance that much with the sempron. And wow, no 64 bit support. Its 2005. Microsoft will release longhorn 2007. Thats 2 years to get a better computer/upgrade processor.

Hacp said:
If your into ocing, the Sempron3100+ with SSE3 instructions is pretty good. Can get to 2.7 on air with DFI.

First, the SSE3 instructions make very little difference, showing almost no performance gain in benchmarks showing the Winchester vs. Venice cores.

Also, if the guy is asking for a core-type suggestion, do you really think overclocking is a good thing to recommend?

Lastly, there have been some Sempron 3100+'s taht have gotten to 2.7 GHz on air with DFI boards. However, not all 3100+'s are capable of that, most will never even sniff 2.5 GHz, much less 2.7. Also, who cares how high the CPU can hit on a DFI board? if he doesn't have a DFI board, then that means nothing. I doubt he's going to go out and purchase a new motherboard simply so he can overclock a sucky Sempron.

Hacp said:
And wow, no 64 bit support. Its 2005. Microsoft will release longhorn 2007.

People aren't buying the AMD 64 CPU's for the 64-bit capabilities, they're buying them for their superior architecture in the 32-bit realm. As you can see here the Sempron 3100+ is utterly destroyed by AMD's 64-bit line, even getting beaten by the 64 2800+, the lowest of AMD's line.

In conclusion, if not obvious, I would HIGHLY discourage against getting a Sempron, and would recommend a 3200+ or 3400+ Newcastle core. The 3400+ Newcastle is about $100 more than a 3100+ Sempron, but beats it by 33 frames per second. Unless you're into extreme overclocking, DO NOT go with the Sempron.

The reason to get a sempron with SSE3 is because it is based on Venice core, which is highly overclockable. 2.5 is def very acheivable and many people consider 2.6 the norm for sempron. Btw, look at these sites and google sempron overclocking too see that these results are typical.
http://sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=656&pid=2483
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/sempron-3100-oc_8.html

Btw, those are with the old paris cores. The new palmero cores based on the venice get into the 2.6-2.7 on 1.65 volts. The Xbit labs one didnt even use a dfi board.

i was thinking about getting a Athlon64bit 3200+ w/ an ECS mobo (its a combo for cheap) would that be good? im on aa REALLY tight budget so i cant get much. and i really dont care what the core is either. i just want something dependable that is 64bit and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom