FX 5500 or 9600SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok, it won't matter, cuz he's running a 1.3 celeron with PC133 RAM... desiboi... go with whatever is cheaper, your system will get maxed out before either vid. card....

The Mad Dog FX 5500 sucks. Horribly. Fan is extremely noisy. Unless you plan on replacing the fan with an aftermarket, do not get the Mad Dog brand card.

All Geforce 5 cards have huge noisy fans. I can't hear mine too much cuz it's on the floor, but when it's by your face it is loud.

Do you not have an AGP slot? Man you're in the stoneage! I see you have 8mb of integrated graphics. Holy crap!

The 9600SE is utter garbage. It is neutered to 64 bit bus width. It is worse than the 9500 and just a little better than the 9250.

The 5500 isn't great either. The 5xxx series DX9 support is horrendous unless you have a 5900 Ultra.

You might have problems running GTA: SA on medium. I have seen people with 9600XT set it to low and drawing distance to default. Quite surprising actually. Some say it's a bug because there is basically no difference high, medium, and low.

But I would buy a 5500 over a 9600SE. If you can find a 9550 PCI or 9600 PCI that would be a better solution.

I had an AGP 9600SE, don't know how much the AGP slot played into this, but it worked great for me. HL2 at Medium everything at 800x600.

The 5500 should be fine, then, as long as you don't have *huge* expectations. It doesn't "suck", either, it's just a midrange card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom