isa modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

valentine640

Beta member
I have been trying to install a modem on a friends computer. I tried a new pci v-92 modem with no success so I purchased an isa modem which is what it had in it. My jumpers are set to com 4 irq 5 and this is what it tells me the modem was installed to. In my device manager my modem is there. (no conflicts) When I go to more imformation it DOES communicate with my modem. But when I go to dial to my isp I either get there is no modem installed, there is no answer or you have been disconnected. I do not get any sound except for a click from the modem when dialing. OMG please help. Would an external modem work? Am I missing something on this modem. I am far from computer stupid I have installed many modems but this one has thrown me for a loop.I can send more information on this particular modem if needed.Oh one more thing this particular modem has a connector on it ( I assume to connect to a sound card?)

If your computer has two serial ports and you're not using them, disable the second one in the CMOS/BIOS settings. Reconfigure your modem for com 2 with the same IRQ settings that the second serial port had.
Some internet providers software won't see a modem over com 3.
That should work.
Best of luck.

Zeeke. I have tried that once and it did not communicate with the modem at all on com 2 even when I disabled the other in my bios settings.Unsure how to tell what irq setting my other port had. Suggestion? The modem I am trying to install is an SF-1156hv. Still unsure what the little cable on it goes to unless it is to hook it to a sound card.This computer is running on windows 98 2nd edition . It has 224 mb ram , 74% system resources free.System imfo does not give me alot on this particular pc. It is an older pc but seems to run well except for the ----- modem:angry: Oh man I am ready to just give up and try hooking an external modem to it :D . The poor girl I am working on this for probably wonders herself if I can do this. This is the first pc to stump me this bad !!!!. Good old gateway. Anyway can you please tell me how to tell which irq my serial port is hooked to? Thanks so much.

You can get the current com 2 settings thru device manager.
Note the IRQ & I/O range.
Remove the com port and modem (if listed) here.
Turn off comp.
Remove the modem (physically)
Re-start, go into bios.
Remove com port 2.
Save & exit.
Turn off computer.
Re-install modem. Set up for com 2 and proper IRQ
Turn on computer.
Windows should find it and proceed.
Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.