Dual boot Windows/Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Currently, I am running Windows XP Pro on my laptop, and I am in the process of downloading Slackware 10.1 and I would like to, at least for the time being, use them in conjunction on the laptop. You know, dual boot.

I'm new to Linux, very new, and I need my laptop, which is why I want them both for right now. Otherwise, I would wipe my laptop and throw on Linux. But as of right now I cant afford to be without my laptop while I am learning a new OS.

A free dual boot program would be great, or a way to set them up in a dual boot config.

Thanks!

Well firstly Linux will need it's own partitions to be installed. You can use unpartitioned space or sort it out with PartitionMagic or something. Then you can install Linux alongside Windows, and Linux will install a bootloader, probably LILO or Grub, for you, and it will auto-detect Windows. When you start the computer you will get a menu of which OS to start.

I recommend you do not use lilo or grub so deselect the option when promted. The thing is lilo and grub is known to sometime not add windows partitions so use the defualt one microsoft gives you.

The one Microsoft gives you does not detect Linux. If LILO or Grub does not detect Windows then all you simply have to do is boot from the XP CD, go to the recovery console and type "fixmbr". This will reload the Windows default bootloader into the MBR.

It's not a lot of work really. Usually it will all be sorted out when you install Linux. If not then it's not a big problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom