Dual channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Circus

Baseband Member
I'm a little confused on what this is. Could anyone explain this to me in a way a small child would understand?

Single channel DDR400 (PC3200) setup: 3.2 GB/s, single memory controller

Dual channel DDR400 (PC3200) setup: 6.4 GB/s, two independent memory controller

You need two sticks of RAM for dual channel; it's faster than single channel operation, but right now it's not THAT much faster.

Will this suffice?

It basically means that the RAM is accessed theoretically twice as fast as normal. It only looks good in benchmarks, as Plifzig said the real life performance is nothing special.

No. That's not it. Memory is memory...it's all the same. You can buy two sticks of the same RAM separately and never even see the words 'Dual Channel' on the box and they will still run dual channel. It's the motherboard that supports Dual Channel that matters.

There are dual channel kits of ram that companies sell, but this is just 2 sticks of the same RAM from the same batch. This ensures that you won't eventually stick two incompatible sticks into the mobo and get pissed when it won't work like they said it would.

What mobo are you using anyway?

lets say u have dual channel memmory, 2x 512, then u stick another 512 in there so u have 3 RAM sticks... will it still be dual channel with added speed from the extra one or what?

There are 4 DIMM slots to place RAM. Two are controlled by controller 1, the other two are controlled by controller 2. As long as all memory is compatible together you should be fine with 3. You just have one controller with 1024MB and one utilizing 512MB. Also, if it's not the same RAM, but still compatible, it will all be reduced to match the slowest DIMM's speeds.

Just make sure it's compatible.

so are you saying if i bought 2gb of 3200 ram and 1 gb of corsairs xms stuff (5400 ithink) the 2gb would work faster because their would be more of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom