Parts to NOT buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
Here I would like to make a list of the common computer components that people buy that are absolute crap. This would be valuable to people who do not really know what they are looking at and they want to make sure they buy the wrong thing, and for other people who just want everyones opinions on certain parts. Please put a breif description of the part, and a link to it, and the reason why it is so bad.

**Please, no fanboy comments. Have a legit reason for recommending against something.**

Hard drive cooler
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=288618&pfp=SEARCH

It does almost nothing, since there are three very small fans, and they have a very very short life span and become EXCRUTIATINGLY loud when they are dying. Not worth the $10. Better to spend the money on a 6 pack.

Radeon X800 Pro, or any other Radeon X800/X850 series for that matter. No PSM 3.0

No Corsair XMS. its okay, but there are far better choices. No Asus motherboards for AMD, including the A8N, very buggy boards.

No Maxtor hard drives, not nearly as reliable as Seagate or WD

Dell, HP, Gateway, and any other brand that uses special parts that force you to buy upgrades from them.

Abit AV8 3rd eye.

They have some dodgy BIOS's which either have a dodgy temp sensor, or they can't overclock with the PCI lock on.

Him said:
**Please, no fanboy comments. Have a legit reason for recommending against something.**

003 said:
Dell, HP, Gateway, and any other brand that uses special parts that force you to buy upgrades from them.

They dont force you to buy upgrades from them, that approach was abandoned a long time ago. They say that you should only use their parts, and using other parts does void the warranty in most cases, and in that respect they are kind of forcing you to upgrade with only their stuff. But the use of strictly proprietary components was abandoned a long time ago. That is why Intel went back to the Socket and went from the Slot, and that is why Compaq abandoned MCA architecture (I think it was called MCA)

Unbranded PSUs! Aaaaah! Not good for you or your PCs health!

As for the HD cooler, I have a similar Antec one and it works pretty good.

m3trj said:
Unbranded PSUs! Aaaaah! Not good for you or your PCs health!

As for the HD cooler, I have a similar Antec one and it works pretty good.

I couldnt agree with you more on the PSU's.

You have one made my Antec, which is obviously going to work. I posted THAT one. Do NOT buy that one. They are very commonly sold at retailers like CompUSA and Best buy. Of course your's is going to work well, it is Antec. Antec stuff, and coincidently Vantec (same company?), is extremely reliable. Just bought an Antec PSU, cant wait to get it.

hey, you mind if i make a nice list of these and add them to the "TF Hardware Guide" sticky? that would be nice!

Rosewill CD-RW Combo Drives. I bought two, one had physical damage (IDE pins), and another would fail to read manye disks (Windows XP, Doom 3, some DVDs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom