Thermal paste or pad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On stock and after market: At first I didn't install the heatsink and fan that came packaged with my XP 2800+. I installed an after market one. When I started having some temp issues I noticed the stock heatsink sitting to the side and how much bigger it was than the aftermarket one. I decided to try the stock one. My temps went up 4 degrees. I put the after market one back on.

I'd like to know more about this "special" alcohol (or is just plain ole isopropyl OK?). When I changed heatsinks back and forth I just wiped the excess arctic silver off with a paper towel and put some more on. Everything still works fine.

i dont know if there is special alcohol thats why im asking...but in that amd video they said to clean the cpu from the old thermal paste (which i know already) but they were cleaning it with a Q-tip I was just wondering what they had on that Q-tip?

You can go to a chemist and ask for Isopropyl Alcohol just like that, and you get a small bottle 50Mills for R5 here which is like $0.90

You can use Acetone as well.

Just put it on a cotton swab..(ball of cotton wool) and wipe over CPU and Heatsinks cleaning any crap off. Not necesary, but it will help with temps and it cleans little bits of dust off which then goes with that "microscopic valleys" thing.. more.

pharmacy, druge store, super market, or hobby shop. First apply the solvent on a lint free cloth or the tip of a Q-tip and use that cloth or q-tip to swap or wipe the core. People keep asking what a LINT FREE cloth is... basically any cloth designed not to leave any lint behind or pick up and drag any abbrasive solids - eye glass or photography lens cloths are good examples. If you're using acetone as a cleaner you might need to wipe it off with isopropyl alcohol after because acetone has a slick quality about it.

reggie_da_man said:
check out this video http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103514

click on item intelligence beside customer review and its the third one down.

btw shorty nice oc ;)

LOL

That last CPU they showed looks like mine. I used some crappy thermal paste on it when i got my aftermarket HSF, I tried cleaning it off with Isopropyl Alcohol but i put way too much paste on and it was really hard to get off. Doh!!!

Drworm2005.

MasterJason said:
You can go to a chemist and ask for Isopropyl Alcohol just like that, and you get a small bottle 50Mills for R5 here which is like $0.90

You can use Acetone as well.

Just put it on a cotton swab..(ball of cotton wool) and wipe over CPU and Heatsinks cleaning any crap off. Not necesary, but it will help with temps and it cleans little bits of dust off which then goes with that "microscopic valleys" thing.. more.

My bad! I was wrong in assuming that everyone was from the US where "chemist" means something akin to a scientist. I think what you are calling "chemist" is what I call a Pharmacy or drug store. I got it now. Thanks for the info.

gospel said:
My bad! I was wrong in assuming that everyone was from the US where "chemist" means something akin to a scientist. I think what you are calling "chemist" is what I call a Pharmacy or drug store. I got it now. Thanks for the info.

lol yea that's why i quoted that otherpeice from the guide.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom