Windows XP networking problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

nungguw

Beta member
Please help me,

I got the problems with windows XP networking.
I am trying to connect 3 computers (1 desktop as a server and 2 notebooks) into a home networking system.
The server uses Windows XP pro and has internet connection through DSL.
The DSL connection uses network card inside the server and the internet sharring is distributed through PCI hub card in the server.
1 notebook uses windows XP home edition and the other use windows ME.

I tried to make this home networking by using windows networking wizard.
Internet sharring runs well in all computers.
The problem is, I couldn't make peer to peer connection between server and the notebook which uses windows XP home edition. Every time I tried to click networking place in the server, it would hang. This happened also with the notebook with windows XP. But the notebook with windows me didn't have the problem. It could reach inside the server and the other notebook and look the file inside them.

I dont know how to fix this networking problem with windows XP. I have tried everything, but still couldn't.
Is there anybody can help me to fix this problem?

Thank you,

teguh

hehe. You ran into the NT based system and the 9x based networking..
Note: NT and 9x system's networks' won't work together.. I figured that out when i reinstalled 98 on a nt network.. and it would do nothing.. All of the systems should have either a NT platform.. or a 9x.. i recommend staying with windows xp pro.. Home is still stupid.. ME is so bad..

SePhErUm said:
hehe. You ran into the NT based system and the 9x based networking..
Note: NT and 9x system's networks' won't work together.. I figured that out when i reinstalled 98 on a nt network.. and it would do nothing.. All of the systems should have either a NT platform.. or a 9x.. i recommend staying with windows xp pro.. Home is still stupid.. ME is so bad..

That's not really true. I'm currently doing this, and it works fine:)

@nungguw:
So, does the server have 2 NIC's? Like is one of the NIC's in the server going to the Net, and other going to hub-->LAN?

Anyway, you said the system locks when you go to networking, but have you checked for actual connectivity yet? The fastest and easiest way to do that is by pinging the other systems. Try this first, and see if connectivity is even there.

I agree, networking in XP is easier, but your currnet situation is far from "not working together", since I'm currently doing the same thing, and have done so for service calls. (not notebooks, but desktops)

To Vile and others:
Yes, I have 2 NIC's. One is for the net, and the other acts as a hub to other computers.
Actually the last one is a NIC but has 4 connectors (like HUB), so actually a PCI Hub card, which is connected to 2 notebooks.
I've tried to ping to other systems and resulted without lost packets (0%). There was the connectivity.

If I tried to acces via windows ME, I could fast touch the Windows XP machines and saw the contents. But If I tried from Windows XP to reach windows ME machine, It could but took a long time to open it even to see the contents of the windows XP itself through it's my network places. To see other windows XP machine, it was very very slow, and the system locked.
So, Win ME --> win XP has no problem.
win XP --> Win Me has quite serious problem.
Win XP --> win XP has very very serious problem.

Thx for your guys help.

Check your subnet mask. Your nic for the high speed modem should be on one set, while your internal hub and the nics connected to it should be on a different one. this might be cause of your fatal error, but I'm not sure...having never done it.

--- edit 11:42 10.13.02 ------------------

sorry, rethought that. if your subnet mask is the same for both cards, internet sharing wouldn't work. At least, I wouldn't think so. sooo...yeah...do this for us, if you don't mind. Please list your internal IPs, the subnet mask you're using for each card, the workgroup name you're using, what gateway you use....all that fun networky stuff.

usually, doing all that solves your situation right there with this sort of thing. the funny thing, for me, is that I'm usually on the phone with tech support when I do so. ^_^ Soo...go over all that, type it up for us...and you may just solve your own problem as you see exactly what you have, which I've done many many a time.

also, if any of the admins are reading this, it would be nice if we could have a sticky topic that lists all of the information that a user should include in a post that would help us diagnose things faster. ie., the config you're running on a network, hardware models and numbers, your driver build number, etc etc. instructions on how to get all of this information would be good too....

and come to think of it, that would be a LOT of info. but I really do think it would help a lot. if you think you'd like to do this, but need some help, I'd be glad to do so. just drop me a line.

I've got the problem fixed.
After I've tried looking for the solution then I found it.

It was just because of my antivirus software.
I used AVG antivirus on my windows XP profesional, and it blocked my network. After I uninstalled, the network was running well.....

so If anybody has the same problem and use AVG antivirus, so be careful.

Thanks for your all guy's help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom