AMD 2600+ Temperature (!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

David00001

Beta member
I have just constructed a new system (following guidelines and installation guides by the letter from Gigabyte and AMD) .

The system consists of the following:

- AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (running at 2.08Ghz)
- Gigabyte GA-7S748
- Coolermaster CP5-6J31C CPU Fan (as recommended by AMD)
- Windows XP Professional
- AOpen KF-45A Case (with intake and extraction fans working in the correct directions)
- Ambient room temperature 25c

I am concerned about the temperature of the CPU during operation - when idle, it runs at around 60 degrees centigrade, and makes it to around 68 after heavy, prolonged use. Is this normal?

Everything was installed properly, and checked by a technician who claims that 60c is normal for AMD Athlon XP processors. However, from what I've been reading in these forums, this isn't the case, and I want a second opinion.

If this is too much, what sort of CPU fan do people recommend? Is the Vantec Aeroflow good/loud?

no your temperatures are not normal, you are definately overheating. is your cpu fan spinning? if you have a thermal pad scrape it off. use thermal paste instead.

if you have already used thermal paste take the heatsink/ fan off and reseat it, maybe you have it on incorrectly and it is not making proper contact with cpu die.

any technician who tells you that those are normal temperatures is does not know what he is talking about.... unless he is a television technician,... that i would understand.

for good reviews on heatsink fan goto newegg.com, browse their cpu heatsink/ fans and read the reviews on the ones you like. they will tell you how the product performs in real world usage.

Welcome to the club bro, check my sig, thats my brand new rig, i installed it as advised and i am getting annoying temps too, my solution? Thermaltake volcano 11, high silver compound and 7 case fans :( and i aint even installed 5 of the case fans yet, so i'm assuming it will work. when i pointed a desk fan equivalent to the case fan setup i will have i got temp of (i think) 45C maxing at around 55-60, still not great but thats the best i've got.

case fans i (will) have 4 in the window blowing directly onto the cpu area of the mobo, i have a blowhole in top, one blowing out in back plate and one sucking in at bottom front. so should have a decent airflow.

Why am I (and this guy over there *points at David0001*) getting such high temps if heatsinks are seated properly correctly and absolutely right? What else could cause this?

Hmmm I am not having any temp problems with the sytem I have, it is simliar to yours I think:

MSI K7N2 Delta
512MB PC3200
XP 2800 333FSB
GeForce4 Ti4600
Generic All Aluminium Case w/ intake and exhaust fans
Thermaltake Silent Boost Heat Sink
450W Aluminium Case power supply with intake and exhaust fans

With the setup I have, I am running 36 degrees centigrade at idle and about 45 degrees centigrade under a load. That is really strange that you guys are running so high. MAybe there is something drastically different between our setups? Our I am just being a complete fool. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your replies everyone!!

facelessmime, I'm only running the stock standard Coolermaster HSF, but the Thermaltake Silent Boost Heat Sink is much better (as far as I can tell) - just how "silent" is it? Is it relatively quiet compared to your case fans? If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for it?

Are you using a thermal compound, such as Arctic Silver, etc?

I think I paid around 25 bucks for it with tax and I bought some Artic Silver along with it.

Soundwise, it is almost "silent" then the rest of the fans in my case. Reason I bought the Silent Boost was due to the Volcano 7 I had on my XP 2100. IT had the built in sensor that controlled the fan speed, so most of the time it was running at 5,000 RPM. That ticked me off, so I went with the Silent Boost. Now I do not hear the high pitch whine of the CPU fan. And most of my "annoying" sound problems are gone.

Hopefully this helps on your endevors.

D'oh! I have dreams about 36 degrees idle .... :(

And you're right, i have the thermaltake 11 but i connected the fan adjuster and modded it onto a 3.5" plate, looks smart but when you rev it up to 5000rpm it GETS A BIT LOUD!!!

mmmmm ...... 36 degrees idle .... *drool*

I have temp problems too, i am running the 2500+ out of the box. standard HSF adn im getting 48-53c idle, up to 58 after a long session of battlefield, i checked and the HSF is seated properly with the shitty pad, still i think its stupid that amd makes a HSF when u have to go get a new one to stop ur cpu from overheating... :(

I agree, i always though a £20 heatsink like the thermaltake volcano 11 was a overclockers accesory to get temps down under STRESS, not a nessecity! Shitty shitty shit AMD lol.

Hi everyone - thanks for all your help, I seem to have fixed the problem.

I went out and got some Arctic Silver 5, and straight away the idle temperature is stable at 52c, and seems to max at around 59c under full load (using Prime95's Torture Test) - this compares to the idle temp of 60 and a max of 68c, and the Arctic Silver still has yet to settle in!

I think this range of temperatures is reasonable, since I'm still only using the stock standard CoolerMaster HSF that came with the CPU, and the Arctic Silver claims to only operate at maximum capacity after 200 hours of usage.

When I cleaned off the Thermal Pad before applying the Arctic Silver, I noticed that there were sections of the material not present between the CPU die and the heatsink’s copper plate. I think they may have come off when the computer technician took a look at the CPU - he removed the HSF and put it back after he had already installed them (he said, in order to make sure he’d removed the protective strip over the thermal pad because he couldn’t remember) – a very bad idea, however I wasn't aware at the time!

I might invest in a Thermaltake Silent Boost in the near future, because summer is hotting up down under :)

Thanks again everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom