hp System Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Passive

Solid State Member
I wanted to reformat my computer, but then found out that you have to have your OS on a disk to boot it from later on. The problem is that when I bought my computer Wndows XP was already installed and I didn't get it on a back up disk.

I was searching on my computer how to reformat and I found instructions on how to do a system recovery. It says that it returns the computer to the orginal software it had when it was shipped from the factory. Does this mean that it would be all the software that was on it when I first connected it and started it up? (Excluding Norton Security, I know I would have to reinstall that) I bought my computer from Best Buy and I don't know if they installed the OS or if hp did, would it matter?

I just want to make my computer how it was when I got it so any viruses are deleted and to clean up my harddrive. So, if I'm not on the right track to doing this, any suggestions would be appreciated. :)
Thanks for your help in advance

It'll make it just like when you bought it. But can't be guaranteed the virus will be gone. HP installed the os. Why not just delete viruses from norton?

Re:

Hello,

If you really want to format your machine, i'd do a scan for viruses, and backup any inportant data before you format- even if it's a Windows XP Repair (or HP / Compaq System Recovery- the same method is used).

Nearly all HP / Compaq machines with pre-installed Operating Systems, have a partitioned section on the Hard Drive containing HP backup data- this includes the Operating System and original drivers and software. The 'recovery partition' is factory default, and if you have one you should see a drive labelled 'recovery' in My Computer. This recovery partition allows you to re-install or repair your Windows XP partition, straight from your Hard Drive. Usually, you'd see a notice below POST splash screen, when you first turn on your PC displaying:' Press F10 for System Recovery' or something along those lines.

Also, most HP / Compaq machines with pre-installed Operating Systems, have an inbuilt PC Help & Tools in Start > Programs > Accessories >. If you don't see this, then you probably don't have an integrated recovery partition. If you do, there should be a utility which allows you to make a backup of your recovery partition on compact discs, or DVDs, allowing you to do a system recovery or fresh install of XP if the recovery partition on your Hard Drive becomes damaged.

It could be that your system doesn't have a recovery partition. In that case, it should have come supplied with a recovery CD. It could also be that you have no recovery partition because you've formatted your drive completely once before- but this would be unlikely.

I'd check the HP website for documentation on your computer. They have an extensive library of support information.

Norton doesn't do a very good job of ridding the viruses, I might not even have any viruses(which would surprise me) but I also just want to start with a clean slate.

In my drive D there's a recovery icon and I remember seeing something at startup like press F10 or F11 to do a system recovery, which I'll try once I have all my data that I don't want to lose backed up.

Thanks for the help, I'll also check the HP website.

Re:

Okay...

...that would be your recovery partition. Before you do anything, you might use the Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator to create a set of recovery discs using your recovery partition.

Yes there should be a program in your start menu called HP/Compaq Recovery Media Creator, or something similar, just use that to make your restore discs.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, in my start menu there is HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator, so I'll make a recovery disk as soon as I go to wal-mart tomorrow and buy some dvds.

Originally posted by dhw200 if u want better virus protection, try Grisoft. www.grisoft.com

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into that. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom