Floppy Drive Necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

osubuckeyes

Baseband Member
Might sound like a dumb question, but are Floppy drives really needed in new systems?

Or should i remove it and use the bay for a new SATA hdd

The only use i've had for a floppy is flashing the bios and running memtest. If you don;t do those things there are much better and smaller solutions for portable storage (USB key drives for example).

You must have a reallty small case if you need to take out your floppy drive.

You should always have one... MS-DOS and boot disks are needed.

1. They're cheap as dirt. So there should be no monetary reason why you don't have one.

2. They're useful (almost vital) when it comes to troubleshooting hardware problems.

3. If yer CD-ROM ain't working on first-boot, guess what?

4. If you have any other computers, or friends with computers, that floppy can come in handy for quick sneaker-nets.

One more, if you have sata drives, you need one to install the drivers during XP installation.

the only thing keeping them alive in my perspective...is flashing BIOS and other...booting...purposes ;) ....but if the manufacturers made it more standard to...oh say make...jumpdrives able to do all that as well...so anotherwords have it listening on the usb port in teh same manner as would the floppy drive....then we can bury the floppy disk and move on to things that are at least capable of walking next to a magnet and not losing your english term paper ;) lol <---theres my two bits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom