Hardware Problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zygomatic

Baseband Member
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-7VRX

I just installed another 160GB hard drive (6/7/05), had Windows running that night, and the next day, booted up my computer on 6/9/05 and it started to boot normally, but when it got past the BIOS and controller card BIOS (Promise Ultra 100TX2), the PC speaker beeped, which is unusual. I think the first time, it tried to load Windows, but then restarted. The next time, it went through the same routine, except it gave me the option to boot in safe mode, normal mode, etc. I tried all the options with no luck. I kept getting that screen, but then I started getting "load needed DLLs for HAL" Eventually I got an error that said "NTLDR is missing" This means Windows is corrupt, right? I didn't want to reinstall Windows and/or format the drive, so I tried using an old blank drive and wanted to install Windows on that so I could back up data on the first drive. The first couple times I tried installing Windows, it didn't even get to the installation, it was just hanging on the same screen for longer than usual. I tried restarting, but now I get a BSOD that says my motherboard is not ACPI compliant and suggested a few things, which I tried, but didn't work. One being flashing the BIOS. I flashed the BIOS close to a year ago to the most recent final version, but there is a beta, which I tried. The flash utility copied the BIOS off the disk, but when it tried to start erasing the BIOS chip, it didn't look like it made any progress, for at least 15-20 minutes. I reluctantly restarted my computer, but it still does the same thing, I tried flashing it one more time, but nothing. Not sure what else to do, any advice would help a lot! Thanks.

this could be any number of things. First thing to try it to remove the new drive and see if it boots. It looks like that drive may be the issue.

I tried that, but I get the same problems. Lately I've just had the drive I'm trying to install Windows on connected as a single master on my motherboard. *shrug*

I used another computer and I installed Windows on that 40 Gig drive. I put it into the problematic one, it goes through the BIOS, etc. still beeps (once), but when it should be loading Windows, I get a black screen with just a blinking underscore, but I can't type anything. Still haven't tried clearing the CMOS yet. Something's still f***ed.

It works now! I really have no idea what I did, but I took out the battery and shorted the terminals for a few seconds, took out a few other drives and cards, and then it booted, nothing to do with Windows or anything. Thanks for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom