Baseband Member
Currently running:

P4 Prescott 630 3.0Ghz w/HT
1 Gig DDR PC3200 SDRAM (2x512)
CD-Rom Drive
DVD/CD - RW Combo
250 GB Serial ATA Harddrive

all on a 300watt stock powersupply.

I'm curious if I could throw a 6600GT into the mix and still be safe. I've run my specs through the PSU calculators, but wanted to make sure with you folks.

- VA

You probably could. But i didn't calculate it so don't take my word on it.

No. Get at least a thermaltake silent purepower 420watter. ALWAYS buy more than u think you will need. Besides, stock PSUs suck. a lot

Suggest you get a better psu. It'll work, but you'll eventually overload it so, better to be safe than sorry.
ROger

Get the Thermaltake 420 PSU.. Very cheap.. And a good power supply.. No need to go for higher as its just a waste of money.. Forget future expandibility.. When u upgrade from a 6600GT, I doubt most PSUs in the market right now will be able to handle the new card comfortably. ;).. My guess is I'd need a 600 W in about 1 1/2 years..

What do I risk if the PSU goes out?

If there's no damage to the inside components, I wouldn't mind. It might even give me an excuse to con my room mate into actually buying something. :p

I'll be getting a totally new system in 1 year, so I'm really looking for short term, cheap solutions.

Don't think anythign will go wrong. Just that your computer will go unstable, and you have to go back to your old video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom