XP format

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtySixBelow

Daemon Poster
I want to put some files on my new hdd that is set up as a slave without and os on it. I was just wondering if i ever decide to make it my master drive and install windows XP on it if its going to format the HDD drive first and i will lose all the data on the drive.

Yes, it would, unless you try it this way:
With the second drive use partition magic or whatever to create a second parition on the slave drive. When it comes time to install XP on this drive it will see two partitions. Make sure you install XP on the partition without the data on it. Then, after XP is loaded, you'll be able to see the data previously stored on the drive in the other partition.

-Mike

will it automatically check both partitions on the drive for the os during bootup, or is there something special i have to do to get it to check a certain partition.

When you start the installation of XP, it will prompt you with a choice of where to install the OS. Since you have already added a second partition to this drive, it will come up with C:\ and D:\ (letters may vary). But, the point is they will be under the same drive. Just make sure to NOT choose the partition with your data on it.

-Mike

i do not agree with what mike said. if you have data on a partition already and try to install an operating system on it it will leave the files alone. if it does require you to format it would give you a warning so do not be afraid to try. it gives you a chance to back out of the process.

i say this because you can install an operating system over an existing operating system and leave all other files intact. i have seen this with recovery CD's in their options menu.

you must meet several conditions to install an operating system on a partition that already has data on it besides the obvious ones like the system requirements (processor speed fast enough, memory is enough, have enough space to install, ect.)

one condition is that an operating system can only be installed on a primary partition. you cannot install it onto a logical drive contained in an extended partition.

the second thing you must do is make it the system & boot partition so it is the first to boot. after you install winXP on it go to the disk management snapin and set the partition to 'set as active'. this is because another partition can be set as a boot partition even if it has no operating system on it like winXP.

this applies to winXP and probably win2k i would think, win98 and millenium are much easier, all you need to do is set active partition and make sure it is a primary partition. it is much easier than i make it sound, but i like to give out detailed info like mike in some situations...

so mikesgroovin i know how you feel bud, (read your networking post) :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom