Questions about my 1st "build-it" project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I'm committed. The final configuration:
processor = ----- P4 630
MoBo = --------- ASUS P5AD2-E Premium
RAM = ---------- 2 X 512 Kingston DDR2 533
HDD = ---------- 2 X Seagate Baracuda 7200.7 160GB
Video = --------- ATI Radeon X600 Pro (PCI-E)
Sound = -------- SB Audigy 2 ZS
Floppy = -------- Teac 235 HF
DVD+/- R/RW = -- 2 X Lite-On SOHW1673S
Case = ---------- Antec p610
PSU = ----------- Antec NeoPower 480

The order is in. Plus, for an extra $80 they'll assemble and test it for me. All I'll need to do is install the OS and the s/w when it gets here.

Thanks for your input folks. It helped a lot in getting things focused in my mind. I should have it in my hands in about a week or so.
FF

I think I'm gonna be happy with it. A friend lent me a copy of the O'Reilly book "Building the Perfect PC" a couple of days ago. I finally sat down and read through it this evening after the order had been placed. I hit it almost perfect in my choices according to their reccomendations. It makes me feel good about it. I think it'll fill my needs for the next few years and will probably be nicly upgradeable as need for a while. I can't wait for it to get here. Except that, I'm not looking forward to several days of doing the clean install of the OS, drivers, s/w, etc. What a pain.

FF

I get my OS, drivers, and main apps installed in under 3 hours.... It does not take several days. You just need to prioritze your main objectives. Also you do not need to install every driver. Most of the time XP will support with drivers already on hand.

If only life were so simple. With over 50 icons on the desktop, a half dozen preipherals and dialup to work with, for the updates I wish it could be done in 3 hours or even 3 days.

I admit, the new machine and the new DSL connection should speed it up quite a bit. Just how much I'll believe when I see it. I've done it too many times on this old P3 600 to look forward to doing it again.
FF

Yeah but you must have alot of unneeded programs. I try to consolidate stuff. For example, why get anti spyware and spyware remover programs, when you can just get firefox and you wont have to worry about spyware. Also you don't need to install every program that comes with each piece of hardware. Just sit back and take a look at what you need and what you don't need.

I use it all or it wouldn't be there, granted not on a daily basis.

Wait a minute! Why am I trying to justify what I have installed on my machine. I apreciate your advice as it applied to the component decisions. This part I don't have time for.

Take care guy and thx.
FF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom