SHUT DOWN doesnt work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well i did this before, lets see. Right click on your desktop and select "NEW" then from the options select "SHORTCUT", click on the browse button and go to your "WINDOWS" folder select the file "RUNDLL32.EXE" then click the next button, type in a name for your new shortcut and click on finish.

After you see the new shortcut on your desktop right click on it and select properties there should be a line called target with "C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL.EXE" click on that line at the end and add "USER.EXE,EXITWINDOWS" the final line should look like this

C:\Windows\Rundll.exe User.exe,exitwindows

Click on apply or OK and then double click on the new icon.

Drworm2005.

Re: Re

Velocity-Spaz said:
You should update if not. Really nothing we could do beside reinstall Windows...
If you going to Reinstall windows you should get
Windows XP Professional x64 Edtion

Why do you post this in every thread you respond to? Is Microsoft paying you for all this advertising or are you just ignorant? Posting useless garbage over and over just to get your post count up doesn't help the people coming here for solutions from someone who actually know what they're talking about.

1. I see a lot of you people trying to tell him how to force a shutdown, but I haven't seen a single person ask him about error messages or anything. Treat the problem, not the symptoms. Obviously he's got something messed up. Believe it or not, but Win98 is supposed to shut-down without you running a bunch of manual scripts, run-line commands, executables, etc. Michael you should try to pinpoint what could be cause the hang-up. It could be a service, a bad driver, fragmentation of the drive, memory problems, etc, etc. You may want to go ahead and reinstall anyway, just to smooth out any problems, as this can get rather lengthy, especially with Win98.

goyel said:
u will hav to reinstall
If yer gonna give a half-arsed answer, at least try to use some grammar. It doesn't do this person any good if you just spit out an off-wall answer using spelling that a 1st-grader would laugh at. Take that extra half-second, or don't answer at all.

3. If yer gonna complain about someone, at least try to answer the question of the thread first before you hijack it for other purposes.

drworm2005 said:
Well i did this before, lets see. Right click on your desktop and select "NEW" then from the options select "SHORTCUT", click on the browse button and go to your "WINDOWS" folder select the file "RUNDLL32.EXE" then click the next ...........

i did exactly likewhat u said.But it was found to be not working.

"It could be a service, a bad driver, fragmentation of the drive, memory problems, etc, etc."

I ran the scan disk;but no errors and the drive is not fragmented.Then about the drivers,well I dont know whether they r having a problm.How can I find it out exactly?All of my plug and play except modem is working properly(I hav posted a thread about the problms of my modem).
Should I reinstall all the drivers??

Oh, I forgot to say that standby mode and restart in MS-DOS mode are working properly.

I'm not running win98 at the moment so bare with me on this but it sounds like you may have some corrupted files, i'm thinking either"Rundll.exe, Rundll32.exe or some kind of file that links to the shutdown process not too sure on that one but it could be something like Shutdown.??? ?meaning i don't know the extention.

I would wait for some more help as i'm not sure about this on win98 but i was thinking you might be able to put your win98 CD in and Extract/unzip the files and replace them with the ones on your HDD.

Hope this helps.

Drworm2005.

[EDIT] about the drivers i would try to update as many as you can to the latest ones available for your OS &hardware.

micheal said:
Then about the drivers,well I dont know whether they r having a problm.How can I find it out exactly?...........

go to device manager for checking the driver conditons.Upgrade drivers if reqrd.
But I dont think the problm is with driver.Sometimes files in the windows folder gets deleted for me(may be becoz of any malicious wares or something).so it will be better to replace files.

WAIT... hav u tried a reg backup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom