Status
Not open for further replies.

CrashAbbott

In Runtime
Bloody Piece of Crap!

Hi Everyone,,

I need some knowledge please....

I have a Compaq Deskpro 4000 ,, PII 233,, 128 mb ram,, 4.3 gb hdd,,

I had the machine running ,, I put it on a shelf for about a month,, came back to set it up to give to a nephew,,

Start it up,, and BAM!!!!

1790 DISK 0 ERROR!!!!

I have fdisked,, I have low level formatted,, I have installed the HD on another system,,

Put that HDD back into the DP4000 and BAM!

Sorry Hit the Wrong Button,,,

To finish this question off,,

Does anyone have any trick or knowledge as to the Origin and FIX for this issue,,

This PC in question was working flawlessly for years prior to me putting it on a shelf for a month,,

Even tried other HDD and same error message,, So,, I am stumped??

HEllp!@!!!##@!!

Thanks for Posting ADZ,,,

yes i have tried two new cables and neither has made this error clear,, plus i have tried the different controllers,, nyet?

Keep thinking :) This is driving me nutty!

cheers,

hav u tried the HDD in another machine? It seems like the only common thing here is the mobo.

Good Thinkin'

but,,, yes,, the HDD did work in another machine,, however the FAT was a mess,, had to clean it up and then was able to install win98se on it,, but once the hdd was put back into the compaq,,,

1790!!! I fell on the floor in a jibbering lump!! this thing kept me up for a weekend messing about with,,

and here is the thing,,,

AFTER i sorted the HDD out,, put it back in the compaq ,, got the 1790 again,, thought I would slave it to a 2000 to see if the HDD was an issue,,,

guess what,,,

the freakin' 2k box died on me,, wouldnt boot again,, so now I have had to hunt down a bios ,, install it,,, get another HDD and am now rebuilding the 2K box,, the compaq ,, well it is gathering dust again cuz my aneurism hasnt healed yet!!

So,,, yes and yes,,,

but still getting the 1790 on the compaq,,

*sigh*

Thanks,, help me find the obvious of what I am missing,, (other than using the DP4000 as a boat anchor)

cheers

Does the harddrive still work in another box?

I use to have compaq long time ago. to access the bios compaq made a small bootable partition for changing setting in BIOS.
Now i've never liked Compaq for doing things not the standard way. The only way i was able to get into the bios after i formatted my hd was using the quick restore disk from Compaq that ghosted the disk with that little partition.

Could be something like that, try the standard restore disk from Compaq.

Personally, i'd never use a compaq as a desktop machine :)

Volk,,

cheers,, I do believe that the small partition is part of the issue,, the low level format would have cleared that ,,

I have looked to download the ROMpaq for the machine,,

Here is a killer,, I put the HDD into a Compaq Deskpro ENS PII 350 and it FDISK'D and formatted, installed and is operational,,

I put this HDD back into the DP4000>>> 1790!!

Plus,, I got the Compaq for $40 bucks,, as a computer for doing my papers on,, it was great,, now that I have moved on,, it was to be a little gift for my nephew to play on,,

I will look into getting some form of that Diagnostice partition back,,,

cheers on the insight,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom