New Mo/bo's and ddr2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
I was looking at this new asus mo/bo, and it only says it supports ddr2 up to 711mhz. Iv'e heard bad reports on ddr2, and to stay with ddr1. What should I do, what would you do? What are the disadvantages of ddr2? Any help would be appreaciated.
Chris

I'm assuming its Intel. If its intel, you must have ddr2 for its new processors. Advantages of DDR2 is that its faster.

Yeah, it is not that DDR2 is bad, it just has pretty high latencies right now, but they continue to decrease. The increased frequency does make up for this and it still has very good bandwidth.

Why do you need ddr2 for intel's new processors? Iv'e also heard that the latency's are way higher on ddr2. And one more thing. Why are Asus the best for intel?

You need ddr2 for the new Intel chipsets. You can get a newer Intel chip and an older chipset and run DDR1.

Like I said, DDR2 latencies are higher, but it is also higher frequency, which makes up for it. For example mine runs at 3-3-3-9, which is higher than the comperable DDR1, but I wouldn't say "way higher."

~edit~ Oh, and the Asus thing. I don't know, I like Asus for Intel boards, but being the "best," I don't know, that is a matter of opinion. I got mine because it got great reviews and had a ton of features. I really like the Abit boards for Intel as well.

The reason why DDR2 gets trashed so much (and why I don't like it) is that slower DDR1 can match and surpass DDR2 bandwidth on AMD systems equipped with the hypertransport bus. Basically you're getting more bandwidth for cheaper plus you have lower latency and more overclockability to boot.

Older chipsets dont support the newer intel cpus. Thats whast so bad about intel. With AMD, all you have to do is get your bios flashed. Thank you integrated memory controller!!!!!!!

Older chipsets dont support the newer intel cpus. Thats whast so bad about intel. With AMD, all you have to do is get your bios flashed. Thank you integrated memory controller!!!!!!!
Uh not really. Current AMD chips will not be able to use DDR2 when they make the switch from what I have read.

And here is a board that will support the top single core P4 with DDR support
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813136156

Idiotec is right, Intel originally laughed at the idea of an intergrated memory controller due to difficulty in switching memory interefaces and such, however ironically they've now decided to make their own LDT bus similar to AMD.

However, AMD won't be using DDR2 until switching to socket M2(940 pins), Socket S1 (657[?]) and the new server socket (I can't remember it right now (1000+ pins) so really the memory controller doens't pose much of a problem.

they're going to use ddr2? i thought they were just going to skip it and wait to change to DDR3, buuut im probly wrong :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom