Computer Wishlist

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac_mogul

The Original Mac User
I've got a list of stuff I plan to get to build a PC, but I would like some opinions on my list as to what's a good choice, and what's a bad choice. Or if you have some better suggestions, that would be nice. BTW, I've got a budget of $900 for this project. So if you could give me some realistic suggestions, that would help.
Thanks and here's my list

Video: PC ATI Radeon 9200 128MB
RAM: GeIL PC 3700 Plati. 512MB 466mhz
Case: Not sure, something clean-cut and shiny :)
MOBO: Intel 856GBFLK 478 800FSB 8X,SATA,GBL or MSI K7N2G-L SkA FB333
HD: 60GB Maxtor @ 7200
Sound: SoundBlaster Audigy 2 OEM
Monitor: 19" CRT
Optical Drives: OptoRite 48x16x48 CDRW and Sony 16x DVD
PS: Performance Pro Gold 450w P4
plus cables and fans and suff

But I'd like to know what someone else thinks. Since it's my first PC, I'd like LOTS of input.
Thanks in advance!:)

hey i think if you shoped around and really hunted for deals you could get a comp quite a bit better if you dont mind online look at newegg and stuff. kinda depends if you want to search

whoops, didn't even think of tha CPU... Shows ya how good my first build is gonna be :laughing:

But I'd probably go with a 2+ghz P4. (not that I'll like using it, but hey :))

And about the boards, I've had people tell me that the Intels are stable and pretty fast, but another guy told me that MSI was much better.

And also on the RAM, the chips I'm looking at are designed for gaming, so I don't know how much of a difference that would make.

And (admitedly) a bigger HD sounds great, but I really don't need that much space. Though I might consider going bigger, or I've even thought of using RAID, but I'm not sure how that would turn out.

Thanks for the input!:)

One thing I can tell you is that in general the Intel line of Mobos are pretty slim for options and cost a bit more then simular boards. They do have great service though....
I like your config, but would suggest looking to Cruial for Ram. They have the best warranty and in the past 6 years I have been building, I have never had a bad chip from them...
Good luck...
oh, will this be running OS X? :)

Intel motherboards tend to be slightly slower and have less extras than other boards on the market. I would probably recommend either an Abit or Asus board, especially if you're looking for performance.

Inaris said:
...oh, will this be running OS X? :)

Ha Ha, I wish!

That's another thing I forgot too. I'm not really sure which OS I'd like to use. I think I'd like a multi-Boot kind of thing with XP Pro and some form of Linux because i'm interested to see how it works.

for you video card, i would go with a 256Mb 9200, as it was like 20 or 30 dollars more than the 128Mb.(but that is me and like they said, it is YOUR money) I went with AMD because they are cheaper, but you can go with intel. all in alll as long as you get intel or AMD, you are good to go since they are about dead even in performance. you could also wait until PCI express comes out and when amd gets HT(but that may be awhile) i have xp pro and like it alot, make sure however you get some anti virus software(norton, McAfee, Pc-Cillin) and some spyware detectors/destroyers(adaware, spybot S&D)

Admittedly AMD IS cheaper, but I have never used an AMD equipped computer and I would like to use something I'm accustomed to.:) But thanks for the info

well i just bought mine i bought y hard drive at best buy and its a nice 120gig for 60 bux good deal. i have an antex case which is nice and a 48x cd burner which i got for maybe 60 all this stuff is cheap and all its form newegg.com check it out sometime!
i was having somedifficulty with my computer thoguh could you help? plase im me on aim- lilrebel815

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom