AMD To INTEL

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowticket

Baseband Member
Running an AMD XP 2200,
Later this week I am going to rebuild to an Intel 3.0GHZ (800MHZ)

All the hardware is cool and I know I am alright in that respect...

My question is this, I don't want to reformat and install my operating system (WINXP) just for the swap. Last time I tried this on another computer going from AMD to Intel I had to format and re install WINXP. Has anyone ever gone through this process? I would like to hear all about it!

Since you are changing your processor and your entire board, you will have to re-run the XP setup and use the repair option instead of the full installation.

-Michael

LOL!
Funny cause I'm actually doing this right now!
But, yes, I have done this before and it's works fine. Just make sure you have all of your drivers for your system, chipset, board perifs, etc.

-Mike

What about the BS about having to register XP with Microsoft? Since you're changing you're basic hardware config & you already registered XP They're gonna see all these changes in your hardware config.

Kind of a big change dont you think? New processor meens new board, but anyways, let us know how you like the Intel chip vs the AMD chip.

Thanks for you support

Yes I am looking foreward to the new board and chip. I will be sure to tell you how it goes. I will try the repiar option when the time comes, does it affect any of the setting like with your desktop? Do you have to reinstall any other software?

I know what your talking about just never tried it. and I am a little nervous cause I got a lot of junk i don't want to loose.
Thanks,

Thanks to all who responded to this thread. I rebuilt the computer today and fired it up, it not only worked on the first try, I didn't have to go through windows setup again. It was my lucky day I guess...

Thanks People,
cowticket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom