freeing up system resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taz202

Baseband Member
I just installed a video card in my system. I had been using the onboard video up to this point. Well that's not entirely true, I did have an agp card at one time but after a mobo meltdown and an upgrade on a tight budget I found myself with no agp slot. Anyway that's a different story. When I was running the agp card I consistently had 80%+ system resources free. With the onboard I was getting readings of 60 to 70% tops. Somebody told me that by installing a seperate card it would free up my system resources. The thing is with this new card in these numbers have dropped even further down to as low as the low 30s. I don't know if it matters but the card is pci. Still if it isn't going to help any I might as well return it and just go with onboard. I still have a week to do so. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I just went through my system configuration utility and this is what is checked:

ScanRegistry
TaskMoniter
System Tray
Atikey
AtiCwd 32
LoadPowerProfile
LexStart
AshMaiSv
Zone Labs Client
avast! Web Scanner
NvCplDaemon
nwiz
NvMediaCenter
winmodem
LoadPowerProfile
BCDetect
TrueVector
avast
NVSvc

I'm not sure why the LoadPowerProfile is listed twice but it is?
I don't know if this is a normal amount of programs or if this is contributing to the problem?

well u had a different mobo with that agp card, so u can't necessarily compare these 2 systems.

care to share some sytem specs? what mobo, what vid card, how much/what kinda ram...etc, you know. and btw. what are u doing with that thing in general?

i wouldn't worry about the 2xloadpowerprofile, although u can try killing the other one and see what happens.

System resources isn't necessarily based on vid card. RAM plays a big role too, with the paging file and cache and such.

Video card bandwidth is the main factor, AGP is going to a lot worse with resources than PCI-E 16x will, you know?

Sorry about not listing the specs. They are as follows:

VIA VT8601T Appollo PLE 133T
Biostar M6VLQ
celeron 1.3 Ghz.
192mb SDRAM
NVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 OC
Win 98SE

Just to clarify things a bit, that is plain ole pci not pci-e

Go back through MSCONFIG and uncheck all but these:

LoadPowerProfile
Zone Labs Client
avast! Web Scanner
avast
NVSvc

LoadPowerProfile is needed for Win98.

Zone Labs and avast! are your firewall and anti-virus.

NVSvc should be your video card driver.

Everything else is extra, and is the cause of your system resources problem (most likely).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom