Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

zildjianchris

In Runtime
I'm trying to figure what brand of memory I should get for my new pc. Iv'e been reccomended: Corsair Twinx 3200xl 1024mb (2x 512mb)
I'm not really into overclocking as I think anything over 3.0 Ghz is fast enough for today's standards. I don't mind spending into the hundreds AUD, for some high quality ram. The motherboard im after will hold either ddr, or ddr2. Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.
Chris

have to say im no intel buff, but is there a motherboard that can do ddr AND ddr2? i wouldn't have thought so, but then, when it comes to intel, im lost.

Nah I know what motherboard I'm getting and i'm just letting you know that it has two ddr1 slots and two ddr2 slots. I'm asking about the ram. I don't know much about intel mo'bo's either. I'm looking into a gigabyte. But mo'bo's are the topic, lol. Thanks anyways.

it might just be me, but that made no sense at all...

is there, or is there not an intel motherboard with both ddr and ddr2 support? im not talking about whether the chipset can do it, there are some that can do both, but i dont know if any can do ddr and ddr2 at the same time.

Allright, il try and make it really clear, sorry for being confusing.

I know you can't use both ddr1 and ddr2 at the same time.
Some mo'bo's have ddr slots as well as ddr2.
Im either going to get ddr1 or ddr2.
I'm asking suggestions on what ram I should buy (Brands).
I don't want any info on motherboards.

Thank you
Chris

no need for you're being sorry because of my stupidity :)

well, as im no intel buff, i havent looked much into ddr2 (seems amd are skipping it altogether and going ddr3 instead :p )

i dont think latencies matter as much for intel systems as they do for AMD systems, so those modules should be ok, if you were going AMD64 i would only recommend 2-2-2-5 modules, but intel... you shouldn't notice much diff between 2-3-3-6 modules or 2-2-2-5, so save yourself some cash and grab something a bit looser, like maybe kingston hyperX they're quite reasonably priced, and they're not bad either.

but like i said, im not an intel buff so i might be wrong :confused:

Im gonna be buying a Intel Pentium 4 630(3.0Ghz, 2mb L2 Cache), with a Gigabyte GA-8I915p Duo Pro motherboard. If that helps with choice of ram.

well, the people i know who have intels, say that asus and intel are the best for intel... but then, you didnt ask that.

i would again recommend the kingston hyperX, good ram and its fairly cheap now.

I know you didnt ask about motherboards, but I do have to say this anyway, as I say it quite often. intel has formally stated that they prefer ASUS boards over their own. With that said, it is an easy and obvious choicce for what kind of board you should get. They just told you whichc board is the best for Intel chips. Just giving you the herads up.

Since you are not looking to overclock, the Kingston HyperX ram will work great, just like Raekwon said. I would prolly say go with DDR1 and not DDR2. I'm not sure the ups and down of DDR2, but since many manufacturers are skipping and and either sticking with DDR1 or going straiight to DDR3 it sends a red flag up in my head. DDR2 may be good, but there has to be a reason AMD and graphics card makers are NOT going with it. I hate to be a conformist so blatently, but I'm hoping on the bandwagon of not using DDR2. Just my opinion.

Get some Kingston, very good stuff at stock speeds. OCZ also makes some pretty good stuff, the Platnium Rev 2's are damn good. If you are willing to spoend the dough, get some good high quality stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom