Son wants to build computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, order from newegg and just get the regular shipping... trust me. I order with regular shipping, and I usually get it in 2 days anyway. Anyway, if you can wait, the new cards come out soon (a month or so away like diabloII said). However, if he wants a super kickass computer, I'd go with the 3700+ (that is a San Diego core I beileve, which is what you want). Yeah, DFI Lan Party would be a good choice for a board too. As for the RAM, that is what I was talking about earlier (TwinMOS like diabloII mentioned is cheaper and works plenty fine). Unless he wants to gig sticks, which will cost more of course.

If he can't wait for the new graphics cards, then the 6800GT will work fine. However, if he can wait, it will be worth it.

diabloII said:
1.) that asus board sucks, go for the DFI lanparty
2.) don't go for that "fancy" (or it may seem) corsair ram because ram timings don't affect performance at all; get a gig of twinmos ram on newegg for around $87 (performs the same as a gig of $300 ram)
3.) 3700+ isn't really needed, you can bump it down to a 3200+ (venice) and go for the new gen of gfx cards if your son can wait a month or so
4.) you need a power supply; the OCZ powerstream 520W if your cheapest and best choice for around $110 or so; the one that comes with the case sucks ass and might damage your computer

What is said here is true

All AMD asus board's are buggy and crap, I highly recomend DFI Lanparty Ultra-D / SLI-DR

diabloII said:
1.) that asus board sucks, go for the DFI lanparty
2.) don't go for that "fancy" (or it may seem) corsair ram because ram timings don't affect performance at all; get a gig of twinmos ram on newegg for around $87 (performs the same as a gig of $300 ram)
3.) 3700+ isn't really needed, you can bump it down to a 3200+ (venice) and go for the new gen of gfx cards if your son can wait a month or so
4.) you need a power supply; the OCZ powerstream 520W if your cheapest and best choice for around $110 or so; the one that comes with the case sucks ass and might damage your computer
He wants the 3700+ for the extra 512k of cache, you can't add cache. Other than that everything you said I agree with.

^Definately a spammer.

Thats a pretty nice setup for a first build. Unless you think he has a pretty decent idea of what he is doing I would build a cheapo machine to learn with and then that could always be the parents or family computer since most "older" people only tend to email and browse the internet and such and then he could build his real machine.

Yeah, that's a good idea. If you need a computer too, buy cheap parts and use stuff like onboard sound and onboard graphics (unless you as a parent also game) because that would work fine for you. It'd come to about $500 or so (maybe a little more or less).

wait... ya know... a better idea would be to buy a piece of shit (pardon the french) for about $50 and let him dig in. Let him take it apart, and put it back together to see it work. Then order the good stuff.

Or, you could go straight to the good stuff and be careful. That's what I kinda did. Worked for me. How old is your son, if you don't mind me asking?

well i don't know about newegg but... I bet it is only fast shipping to people who live close to the company itself !
To me it is better because when you buy it tells you the prices for the same product from other companies
Plus on http://www.prodprod.com/computers/index.php the prices are cheaper than on newegg for the same junk.

Hey Spaminator X, that website is just a referral site that refers you to overpriced websites when you actually decide to buy it (i.e. Tigerdirect).

And newegg is based out of California but has a warehouse in NJ for the east siiiide. ahem, anyways.. stop spamming.

Hey Mr. X, I live in Michigan. In case you didn't know, that isn't by California or New Jersey.

Mr. X said:
well i don't know about newegg but... I bet it is only fast shipping to people who live close to the company itself !
To me it is better because when you buy it tells you the prices for the same product from other companies
Plus on http://www.prodprod.com/computers/index.php the prices are cheaper than on newegg for the same junk.

JUNK AS YOU SAID WHATS JUNK computer are not junk they are "TOOLS". Oh yea and um...:) STOP SPAMMING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom