Transferring Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtySixBelow

Daemon Poster
I am getting a new HDD and wondering if there is anything special i need to do to transfer windows XP from my old HDD to my new one. I will be putting the two HDD in the same computer, old as master for bootup and new as slave until i can transfer all of my files. Im not sure if its a simple drag and drop like the rest of my files or if there is something else i need to do.

You can use a mirroring program or the like to transfer the OS onto your new HDD. If both HDD are the same or near similar you can set them up In a RAID.

RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independant Disks. Tell if they are the same, if the are both IDE drives or both ATA drives, IDe usually doesnt work on RAID. IF they both maxtor, raid should work with them.

IDE and ATA are two different names for, basically, the same thing...
Cherubimon was on the right track with the first suggestion. There is a great imaging application out there from Symantec called Ghost. It is very easy to setup. You will be able to transfer your original OS, files and everything else on the old drive (master) to your new one (slave). A RAID1 configuration is a little more difficult to setup and I am assuming that you don't even have a RAID controller on your motherboard. Don't worry about RAID...too confusing for the level of operation your are trying to accomplish.
As long as you have both drives in, Ghost will allow to transfer all contents from one to another.

-Michael

I just replaced a maxtor with a maxtor.
The NEW Maxtor HD's come with a instalation cd which will lead you through the steps to copy the old to the new.

It's as easy as one, two, three! :cool:

I hadn't done it before so I ghosted the old drive first.

Good practice as I hadn't done that before either.......

But, as it turned out, I didn't have to do it......;)

mikesgroovin said:
IDE and ATA are two different names for, basically, the same thing...
Cherubimon was on the right track with the first suggestion. There is a great imaging application out there from Symantec called Ghost. It is very easy to setup. You will be able to transfer your original OS, files and everything else on the old drive (master) to your new one (slave). A RAID1 configuration is a little more difficult to setup and I am assuming that you don't even have a RAID controller on your motherboard. Don't worry about RAID...too confusing for the level of operation your are trying to accomplish.
As long as you have both drives in, Ghost will allow to transfer all contents from one to another.

-Michael

So you mean to tell me that I can have two hard drives on the same cable/controller without a RAID setup?

Yes.
You can have up to two IDE devices on the same controller, using a standard dual ported IDE cable. Up to 4 devices if you have two controllers. The setup ends up being:
Primary Controller - Master
Primary Controller - Slave
Secondary Controller - Master
Secondary Controller - Slave
This is typical for any motherboard these days. RAID is totally different. You have a second set of RAID controllers that will act as the the first level of RAID. So if a board has integrated RAID functionality you will see a total of 4 IDE controllers on the board. You will also have a Floppy controller for a total of 5 controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom