Fat32 To Ntfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miCkz

Baseband Member
Okay i need someone to elaborate me in using steps as i am getting a lot of replies very differently from all of the people i have asked.. While in XP SETUP IT ASKS YOU TO CONVERT TO NTFS! and it peforms conversation.. but when you just go with the option Format the partition using NTFS? WHT DOES IT DO?? While you have FAT32 currently.. it converts to ntfs and formats the partition no? Confused in such options.. enlighten me the XP SETUP AND ACTIONS.

Windows 9.X uses the FAT [ File Allocation Table ] format to store files and there locations on the HDD.

~Only allows up to 11 characters [ including the extension ] per file name
~Can only handle disk partitions of up to 2Gb [ a 10Gb HDD would have to be partitioned into five sets of 2Gb ]

Windows 2K and later use the NTFS [ New Technology File System ] to do the job of the old FAT format.

~Allows file names of yp to 255 characters
~Allows for disk partitions of up to 2024Gb [ or something stupid like that ]

FAT/FAT32 & NTFS are not compatible, if you are using a Windows installation disk to upgrade from a 9.X O/S to a newer NT O/S, you will be prompted to convert your current FAT HDD to NTFS so that you can view older files.

If you are simply formatting the drive, you normally get the option to choose FAT or NTFS. For obvious reasons most people choose NTFS.

Enigmatic Thankyoy for this information but i guess i knew this.. and thats not what i wanted.. read my question again please.. and tell me.. and Warez Monster well your link says to convert within windows.. and i am asking about windows Setup.. can you people read my question and answer me on it? Thanks in advance

Your question was a little confusing. Are you upgrading to XP? If you have fat32 and it says covert, thats fine. If the option says format with ntfs, you will lose all data.

Enigmatic said:
Windows 9.X uses the FAT [ File Allocation Table ] format to store files and there locations on the HDD.

~Only allows up to 11 characters [ including the extension ] per file name
~Can only handle disk partitions of up to 2Gb [ a 10Gb HDD would have to be partitioned into five sets of 2Gb ]

Windows 2K and later use the NTFS [ New Technology File System ] to do the job of the old FAT format.

~Allows file names of yp to 255 characters
~Allows for disk partitions of up to 2024Gb [ or something stupid like that ]

FAT/FAT32 & NTFS are not compatible, if you are using a Windows installation disk to upgrade from a 9.X O/S to a newer NT O/S, you will be prompted to convert your current FAT HDD to NTFS so that you can view older files.

If you are simply formatting the drive, you normally get the option to choose FAT or NTFS. For obvious reasons most people choose NTFS.
Windows 9.x use Fat32 not Fat. Fat32 removed those restrictions.
You can install XP on Fat32 or NTFS and you can have any combination of Fat32 and NTFS partitions.
Fat32 is still popular as a shared partition on Windows/Linux multiboot PC's.

IAM_7154 I have currently windows me.. and i am not worrying about any datas on my c: i just want a clean install and want to convert the partition to NTFS! so choosing Format with NTFS? will format and convert the drive to ntfs? ( Convert Partition tO NTFS ) does the same thing but it just doesnt erase the data.. Thats the difference?

Yes, in your case , format w/ ntfs is the way to go..and do the full format, not the quick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom