Intel ships 64-bit, 1MB L2 Pentium 4s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Intel's new naming scheme is awful, first thing I have to say.

The naming scheme is pretty bad.... but its not HARD to learn.

I wouldn't consider this much of an accomplishment, they cut the cache in half, I don't see why the hell they are going backwards

Newcastle.

So, Pentium M's are good... wtf, my whole world is collapsing on me. Better than P4?
Clock for clock they are way better. There are not a whole lot of desktop solutions for the M yet, but DFI has a board, and Asus as an adapter.

A Pentium M at 2.5Ghz, beat the fx-55 in most benchs.

That is why I said before it will be best to wait until next year to pick up a new chip. Intel is basing there new line on the M core, and should be a big improvement for them. We could see Intel really compete again in the gaming arena.

Newcastle.
The newcastle and clawhammer/sledgehammer cores came out at about the same time. All I'm saying is I don't see why the hell this matters as there's no change in architechture and they're no different between their bigger brothers apart from a smaller cache. All this looks like to me is Intel trying to cheapen an already expensive platform while cutting out their cache size performance edge at the same time which defeats the purpose.

because a pentium M matches a FX 55 in performance when OC'd. But you have to remember that these are mobile chips, they are supposed to run cool and efficent. But it you add a full size HSF, your going to be able to OC it like a mofo.
What does that have to do with anything I said?

A 3000+ can match an FX-55 if overclocked too ya know...

horndude said:
Whats the hurry pc-boy, you still dont have an OS to use with it,not a mainstream one anyway,winblows64 may be out but it should be considered beta from what Ive seen of it.

but if intel got their 64-bit as early as AMD, Microsoft and the other software companies would already have gotten a head start on 64-bit... right now we would be set... Intel slowed everything down...

btw, their earlier 64-bit was kid of like a "beta" chip, they just made it so they could have one, it wasn't meant for mass production:p

Yeah you probably can OC a 3000+ to match a fx-55 but you probably need like water cooling or some sh!t like that

The pentium M only needs like a regular HSF

Done with a bit of aftermarket cooling, I read a review on it a couple days ago actually and the 3000+ was reaching the FX-55 speeds easily.

An 800MHz increase on a Venice isn't really anything out of the ordinary without ridiculous cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom