Bought a new CPU Heatsink...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok im giving it a go now :p If im not on in half an hour ive messed it up!

One last question, do i have to wait for the thermal compound to dry before booting up the PC again?

No, just start it up after you have applied it.

Go directly into BIOS and check your temps.

They may be a bit warmer than before, but that is normal. The paste is still finding its way into all of the grooves of the HS and CPU.

Ok, i have just taken off the old stock heatsink but the CPU has come off with it!! It is stuck to the bottom of the heatsink!

How do i get it off without breaking it?

Where can i get "goo gone" :eek: Is there another version of the product that i could use as i've never heard of that product over here in the UK...

Lol, I did that, I shat myself staring at it. A way of helping to prevent it, is to run the PC at max load for a while, and then be quick to get it off while it is still warm. (The pc off when you take the CPU out.)

Is there any pins broken, as they will have to be straightened.

The goo gone is that liquid, it is the isophyll (90+% alcohol would do btw.)

I was able to pull the CPU off of my heatsink, having half the thermal pad on the CPU.

Its just a regular solvent.

Anything that says its good for removing glue, labels, or tape should be good.

Argh, like trifid, im crapping myself!!! :(

Need to find a solvent now.... good job i work at a DIY store. Do you think Wickes would sell something like that? I work there but i havent got a clue!

If any pins get bent, is the CPU as good as dead?

If any pins get bent, is the CPU as good as dead?

No, you can usually bend them back. I would google up a tutorial on how to do it, though. Tutorials have pictures, and I dont:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom