Laptop Died Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTComputers

Baseband Member
Hey Guys,

Once again I am having a problem with my laptop. Last time if anyone read the post I had a problem where the laptop would shut down by itself. I figured out it was a cooling problem so I sat down cracked the laptop open cleared out all the dust made sure everything is seated properly then took apart my heatsing and guess what... there was a 2 inch layer of dust on each side of the heat sing blocking the air from coming out. I cleaned it out and the laptop worked like it was brand new. Now I decided to get myself a vpr matrix laptop so I gave this one to my girlfriend and she just brought it back to me because when you turn on the machine, it starts up but the screen is blank... so I decided to check all the parts and found out that when you pick up the hard drive and slightly shake it it sound like there is a loose head inside because it rattles. Can that be the problem of why the screen stays blank.... or is there something else I should check? ALSO I tried connecting an external monitor to it but it wouldnt show anything on that either.... any help/advice would be helpful.
(AND PLEASE NO CRACKING JOKES ABOUT ME OWNING A DELL, I GOT IT AS A PRESENT AND IT WASNT MY CHOICE LOL I JUST SMILED AND LOOKED HAPPY)

Thanks Everyone,
Ilya
CTComputers

Well, the hard drive making a little noise should have nothing to do with the display. The laptop should display something regarless of having a HDD in there or not. Sometimes, when the drive is powerless, the heads do not lock in place causing them to shift a little from left to right (especially when shaking it). The first thing I would do is make sure that the connections for the display are correctly seated inside.

-Michael

Yes, the laptop HDDs do rattle. Every manufacturer will give slightly different reasons why, but it is not the problem here. To best determine if the LCD is bad,, there is most likely a VGA output on the laptop. If you hook it up to a monitor and the laptop outputs to it, there is probably an issue with the lcd or cabling. You may have not reseated it properly or the connector is loose. If it still does not output to a monitor then you may have a prob with the video card and that would be part of the motherboard.

if the HDD is bad the computer will display a message saying that the OS could not be found or will display an error message. I have never heard of just a blank screen from a HDD failure.

HDDs do rattle.

I would check the LCD connections
and check to see if the RAM is properly seated (It should beep on startup if it cannot find the RAM)

I once again spent another 4 hours working on the laptop to find out 2 things, number one it still does not display to an external monitor (through the vga port) and number two the fan does not start spinning when the computer is turned on. Now im thinking maybe its just that the motherboard isnt getting enough power hence the power supply is bad, or maybe the mobo is burned out :-(, how would i test either one?

Only way to test these components is to use new parts, or be really knowledgeable with a multimeter. I am not sure how much you took the computer apart on the original problem again, but you may want to go back and reseat as many parts as possible. To the point where you took it apart the first time.

Sounds Like either you got somethingmthat is not seated properly anymore, or and I hate to say this something is fried. Best to check component by component replacing with known good parts. Or like said above, be good with mutimeter and wiring diagram. Luck

ANOTHER UPDATE lol
I have finally got my laptop to power up with all componenets spinning, and it outputs to an external monitor, now the only thing is If you put a flshlight right on the laptops lcds or hold a flashlight near it, you could see the desktop and the display... why does it not light up????

I have seen this before check the connection between the Base
and the screen. Another possibility is the Light is burned out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom