Data preservation on HD's in closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

volkanb

Baseband Member
I want to use IDE Harddrives as an backup solution, but i'm not sure how long the data on the harddrives will stay preserved for the time it's not spinning.
Prices of HD's have dropped so much it's so dirt cheap and easy to backup on it :)
Any idea???????

preserved in leaving a HD unused for a long time. for instance : if i leave the harddrive unused for a year will i still be able to read the data after that time. I hear lots different stories about it. some say the harddrive wil lose it's data after 6 months, other after a year.

i pulled a HDD from a 486 dx 33 last week that i know has not been used in at least 5yrs and the data was intact. At least the data that has programs that still exist to read the files. Now wether or not this should be common practice or not i dont know. But HDDS are sealed air tight so they do not erode as easily as say floppy disks do. I have also read lately that some CD-Rs do not hold their data for more than a few years either. So HDDS are probably as safe, but would like to hear more on the subject myself. BTW volkanb i have visited your wonderful city, wish i lived there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom