939 or 754? PCI-E or AGP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mRk

In Runtime
Hey, I haven't been up to date on all the fangled gadgets and technology so please excuse my ignorance.

I plan on building a computer soon for the summer. I was looking into 64-bit AMDs and I found two types of sockets for AMD 64, 939 and 754. Which is better and whats the difference between these two?

Also, there's the new PCI-Express(well it's new to me). Is this suppose to be better than AGP? I plan on getting an All-In-Wonder video card and I was deciding on the x600PRO or the 9600XT. Which would be a better buy?

I also see some DDR2 RAMs. Are there any mobos with that yet?

Thanks in advance.:)

754 is an old socket, very bad with memory

939 is the new socket :cool: and supports Dual Channel memoery and PCI-E

DDR2 is a new type of DDR used in INTEL ONLY systems. However due to AMD's superior memory controller, DDR in an AMD system will be just as fast / if not faster than an Intel with DDR2 at 533 mhz.

PCI-E is a good idea, and it's cheaper to make native PCI-E cards. Doubble the speed even though you wont notice it for a while.

And for graphics card's, what do you want to do with this PC?

if you just start from the top of the hardware forum and read your way though you will find these questions are answered several time.

003 said:
939 > 754
PCI-e > AGP
6600GT > X600/9600XT

Short and simple. Thanks.

I have no tv in my room, so I thought I would watch tv on my computer. How are the All-In-Wonder cards by the way? Yay or nay?

nay, I'd rather buy a good video card, and have a separate TV tuner in a PCI slot.

If you have no plans on upgrading, socket 754 is the way to go. Yes, it doesn't support dual channel, but doesnt that only increase performance significantly on intel processors? Socket 754 is mainly all Agp, while socket 939 can be either. So basically, if you plan on keeping your comp for 3 years and then buying a new one, get socket 754 and save a few bucks. If you want to upgrade in the future, get 939 and pci-e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom