IE not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherubimon_3.20

In Runtime
IE 5 not working

Hello. A recent computer crash has forced me to reformat my HD. No problem right? Wrong. I reinstalled Win Xp, then IE 5. When I go to open the browser, it says that this page cannot be found. What am I doing wrong? Please help me. Thank you.

Why are you installing internet explorer 5 on windows xp. XP already comes with internet exploere 6 installed on it. The Problem with page cannot be displayed might be your internet settings or problems in the TCP/IP. Are you using high speed or dialup?

some problems can occur if you downgrade software. I like IE6 it had its problems when it first came out but it works very well for high speed dsl. Microsoft is starting to eliminate support for IE5 now. You may have to eventualy upgrade to IE6 anyways.

Cherubimon....
Just out of curiousity, is there any specific reason why you want to stick with 5? Are you at least trying to use 5.5 SP2? If not, you should. Even IE 5.5 SP2 has been a huge step up from 5.01 SP3. Before, in IE 5.01 (even in SP3), continuous problems arose with many of it's drivers, especially pdm.dll and mshtmled.dll.
Most of these issues like cookie exposure to applications and memory leaks, they didn't even fix until IE 6.0 SP1.
Just a thought....

-Michael

do you plug you highspeed modem up to the usb or the nic. You prob. either dont have the nic drivers installed or the usb modem drivers installed. Check device manager for any bangs

I checked the device managers already. Its all intact, as in my nic is installed. So if I upgrade to IE 6 and install the right drivers for my NIC the browser will work again? One question, are the drivers for NIC on the WinXP disc or the IE6 setup disc?

What is the brand of NIC that you have? Make and model would be good.
But, regardless, if you are already using the card with IE 5.01 then upgrading to IE 6.0 should not matter. The card should continue to work with no matter what browser you are using. I have to give it to Microsoft...they finally came out with an operating system that is more like a true "Plug n Play" operating system. Network Card drivers do not exist on the IE 6.0 setup disk. Some default drivers that come packaged with the WinXP OS are compressed on the XP disk.

-Michael

I upgrades to 6.0 and still does not work. It never worked with 5.0 after formating the drive but before it did. I think I have 3Com NIC. When i check the device manager for the NIC it says that no drivers are present/have been installed.

silly q i suppose but did ya try releasing and renewing your ip address after you reformatted? if ya still cant get in with that, try removing your tcp network components through the control panel .. sometimes an os wont see whats right in front of its self unless ya force it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom