seeking advice, upgrading mobo, chip and memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
senseless said:

2) For instance, starwars galaxies is a huge game and loads about 800mb worth of stuff into ram. I noticed a huge difference in my system when i upgraded my 2x 512 to 2x 1gb. But all the other applications ran at the same speed

i used to play SWG too. arggggg painful memories. but anyways, i noticed the huge memory drain on SWG too. i dont know offhand how much memory WoW uses but i kinda assumed it was comparable to SWG, since both load huge maps and lots of player models, npcs models, creatures, etc etc. well i'm still contemplating.

little bump to see if anyone has any further advice to add :) gonna think about it tonight and order tomorrow

thanks!

Get some cheap RAM if you arent going to overclock. Theres no point in getting anything but valueRAM unless you overclock.

what would be the advantage of getting ddr 500 on the mobo i've selected ? could it take advantage of the added memory speed?

There will be no advantage whatsoever. That RAM wll only be useful if you overclock your CPU. Even then, you can get better OCing RAM than that.

i just thought of something... say i go with the 2x512 MB idea. lets say 6 months down the road i realize i need more memory for whatever. can i add 2 MORE sticks of 512 (same speed, latency etc) and still take advantage of the dual channel thing?

would i have 2 dual channels going? or is the dual channel deal only supported with 2 sticks? would be awesome if i could swing it...

p.s. yes the mobo has 4 slots :)

You can run dual channel with 4 sticks. They dont have to be the same size as the other two slots, either. For example: You can have 2X512+2X1024

Elbatrop1 said:
You can run dual channel with 4 sticks. They dont have to be the same size as the other two slots, either. For example: You can have 2X512+2X1024

oooo the plot thickens. thanks for all the helpful info elbatrop.

one last question before i go home. my raid array consists of 2 maxtor 160 GB IDE drives. they use ata 133 i believe, 133 something anyways. they aren't SATA though so in my current setup i have one hard drive hooked up to an 'IDE to SATA adapter' running into one of my mobo's SATA hookups. the other hard drive in the array is running into the mobo's main IDE jack.

the reason for this is i can't hook BOTH up to IDE jacks since in a raid array each drive needs to be hooked up by itself (it was news to me at the time :eek: ) the other option would have been to hook both up to thier own SATA jack. i didn't have 2 adapters hehe.

anyways my question is, does this mobo have a secondary IDE jack that will accept an IDE hard drive for a raid array? or will i have to continue using my clunky ide to sata converter for one drive?

if that question was too confusing i can attempt to clarify :cool:

You can run dual channel with 2 sticks.

I'm not sure about your raid question. I would run 1 ide drive stand alone for your games/os/software.. Then use the other drive for storage. Theres really no sense in putting your OS install on a raid.. Other than you have a 50% greater chance of something breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom