Need help: Computer won't post/display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ixupi

Solid State Member
Hello, i've just recently started building a computer, i've got all the pieces and once built I start up, all fans start, the processor get hotter(used temperature monitor to make sure certain areas were getting power.) everything seems to be getting power so the supply is fine. So what happens is nothing displays on the monitor, when I unplug it, it recongizes it's unplugged but when hooked up the monitor the monitor's power button blinks on and off.

I've tested the monitor on a laptop and another computer so it's fine. I've tried testing without memory, video card, etc, leaving only the processor, mobo and fans. (I also get no post beeps period, from what I believe though the model mobo I have, has a defect that has no post beeps.) Still nothing. Everyone had originally suggested the video card but I've since then recieved a new one and tried with and without. I've come to the conclusion it is the motherboard's bios acting up. But I want to make sure there isn't a compatability problem i've over looked or something, any and all help is appreciated. So anyhow here is my setup. Thanks for all help guys and gals.

Computer specs:

Monitor- Samsung LCD

Memory- 1gig 2x512mb 3200 Kingston Xtreme series

hard drive- 80gig seagate

Motherboard- winfast px6800 256mb geforce 6800 pci xpress

Processor- AMD 64 3200+

Motherboard- MSI RS480M2-IL socket 939 pci xpress etc, here is the link.
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=RS480M2-IL&class=mb

soundtrack- Creative sound blaster audigy 2

CD rom- DVD/CD-ROM drive

power supply- ATHENA POWER AP-MP4ATX45 MicroATX 450W Power Supply

Yeah. I forgot to mention I cleared the jumpers. I saw the manual and website's advice and tried it all. I just filled out the RMA form now, so that's that.

Make sure you have power plugged into your video card or it wont display.

Unplug everything and leave only power to the motherboard and your video card with power to it. (Unplug all ide cables, sata cables, front panel usb/firewire, power buttons, etc.) Then turn the system on with a screw driver (making contact where the power button turns on at)

If that doesnt work, take the board out of the case and try to run i t on the motherboard box (with proc/video only).. If you cant get post that way i'd say its a bad board or psu.

Could the PSU be bad even though it provides power to all fans, processors, video card, etc. I mean everything starts normally and everything.

I've tried testing the motherboard out of the case, so to make sure it isn't the case's fault. I've tried with every single combination of parts and i've tested another PSU in it, even though it was only a 200watt, it still should of acted different, still same deal.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Nope, i'd say psu or mb.. See if you can take it to a local shop and have them test it for you.

Well since sending the MB to the company for repairs is free and since having a shop test it will cost money, i'd rather go ahead and wait and send in the MB for repairs first. I keep suspecting some how the PSU could be it as well, but it just doesn't make sense. It's 450w and even if it wasn't running at it's fullest it should still run the MB and processor with memory. I mean with everything in it, it runs all the fans at full speed without a problem. So I don't know, no way for me to really check that out.

Yes, it does. Plus, i've tested with two different video cards. So i've ruled that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom