Please help Serial ATA HDD and new system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lee42lee

Baseband Member
I am building a new system and am having problems getting windows to load. My system:

Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mainboard
AMD 3800 cpu
Twin BFG GeForce™ 6600 GT OC PCI express graphics cards
500W Aspire Super UV Reactive Computer Power Supply
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 120GB SATA150 HDD

I have never built a system and used a serial ata hard drive I always use the IDE cables. I can get Windows to start installing ( it will setup the partition then start installing the files) but after the first reboot it will start the installation all over from the beginning. Also when it reboots it will say "boot from cd rom". Shouldn't it boot from hard drive after the first reboot during installation? To me it acts like the system isn't detecting the hard drive correctly. Do I need to install something before I start installing windows with the Serial ATA hard drive? Please help.

Lee Harrell

Double check that your mobo actually supports sata and that you have the cable plugged into the sata connector on the mobo. If they are correct then try changing the first boot device to harddrive in the bios to see if it will actually boot to windows and continue setup. Post back with the results.

Ok I just read that I need to extract the SATA host drivers from the installation cd for my mobo to a floppy then install them when windows first boots. I tried to boot from my mobo installation cd so I could make the floppy but it wouldn't boot from it.?????

After it boots up after doing the initial installation (with the blue screen and yellow text), it should boot off of the hard drive. Make sure that you BIOS's boot order has the HD being first.

it wont boot from the mobo cd cause those a generally not bootable..you will need to put that cd into another computer and then make a floppy with the drivers. You cannot use the cd as the setup program doesn't know how to use a cd rom even though it is running from it...stupid but still..

Once you boot off the OS cd there is an option to press f6 (I think its F6) to install 3rd party drivers, it will then ask for the disk in drive A: put the disk in and it should find them.

daappleby said:
it wont boot from the mobo cd cause those a generally not bootable..you will need to put that cd into another computer and then make a floppy with the drivers. You cannot use the cd as the setup program doesn't know how to use a cd rom even though it is running from it...stupid but still..

Once you boot off the OS cd there is an option to press f6 (I think its F6) to install 3rd party drivers, it will then ask for the disk in drive A: put the disk in and it should find them.

I would agree with you, but he says he already made partitions and did the first part of the Windows install. If it were a driver issue, the hard drive wouldnt have been recognized by the Windows installation in the first place.

yeah I thought of that, but I think that it was recognised incorrectly by setup.. I have see that in the past where Windows setup looks like its doing stuff but is in fact not. I am unsure in this case that windows did what it said it did.

Elbatrop1,
Let me try to explain this a little better. On my mobo I have 8 x Serial ATA connector but four of them are for Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s. My HDD is a SATA 150 not the 3.0. When I plug my hdd into the SATA 150 connector it does not detect it but if I connect it to the 3.0 connector it shows but then it does what I stated in my first post. I just downloaded a driver from the mobo web site and I am going to try it and see if that works. I will let you know what happens. If you have anymore suggestions please let me know.

Ok another stupid question. I put the mobo cd into another computer to make a floppy but when I try to open the cd it says it doesn't suppoort this mobo. I have never had this much problem building a computer and am ready to pitch it out the window...lol any ideas?

Also is this Serial ATA HDD a lot better than one I can plug up to the IDE? I f it isn't a lot better I may just go get another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom