Location of Thumbs.db file

Status
Not open for further replies.

olifer

Solid State Member
Good morning all.
First of all, forgive me if I seem ignorant about the Windows Operating Systems. I am an Apple guy and rarely boot up a Windows Computer.

Anyway, I have been given the task of recovering some mIrc data from a hard drive. One of the files that is important for me to find is called the Thumbs.db. I have searched the hard drive for it and am unable to find it.

If possible, I would also like to know exactly what this file consists of.

Can someone with some real Windows expertiese help me with this?

Thanks for any and all help.

Olifer.

The file containes cached image previews for thumbnails shown in folders as far as I know. You have to unhide hidden files first. Start>settings>control panel>folder option.
Every folder that you configured to show thumbnails contains this file. The file stays in the folder if you disable thumbnail preview.

Thanks for the quick response. Are you saying that this file is for sure a hidden file?

Thanks again. I'm going to boot up the system in a few minutes to try to find it. I may have more questions.

Okay, I have the system booted up. It is running Windows 2000 Pro. How do I search for an invisible file in this operating system?

Those files are scattered all over your harddrive. Almost every folder with pictures has a file with this name if you ever enabled thumbnail preview in that folder.

To make those files visible you have to go to Start>settings>control panel>folder options and look for the option "show hidden files"

Okay, I've done that and I did pull up an AOL 8.0 cache file that is about 64 meg. It may have the content in it that I need. Do you now of a way to open this file?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom