New video card or CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterShazbot

Baseband Member
Hi. I need some advice with a choice I am going to make.

Right now I have a Pentium 4, 2.4 Ghz, one GB of memory, and an Nvidia PNY 5900, 128 mb (AGP).

I want to upgrade my rig, so I can get higher FPS in my games. My FPS in doom 3, half-life 2, and the Battlefield 2 demo is low, and I hate playing with most of the features disabled for performance.

My choices are:
1. Buy a Pentium 3.0 Ghz, 800 bus, 1 mb cache, & a DVD-rom.
2. (update) My motherboard is big enough to fit a Leadtek 6800 GT, so I think I'll list that one instead of the eVGA.

Which one would increase my FPS more? I cannot get both of them right now, but I do have enough cash for one.

If I got the new CPU, would it make my 5900 faster?

Get the video card and if u can buy an aftermarket cooler ond o/c your p4 that is if u know how or are willing to do that.

I would get the 6800 gt then after that you should try to upgrade mobo and Cpu to an AMD 3000+ CPU and som mobo if your worried about your game fps.

Well Matt, I think it means I do not need to worry about upgrading my CPU for a very long time. Looks like the video card is priority one. I did notice one interesting thing about the 3000+ - The Bus speed is 2,000 MHz!!! WOW!

Yah they communicate with the rest of the system much faster.Is that the reason AMD is on par with intel also because of higher bus speeds GrimReaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom