Floppy disk drive won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman

Baseband Member
Floppy disk drive no longer works

The drive used to work fine last time I checked it. I don't use it much.

When I put in a diskette and try to read it, it says no diskette in drive after a few seconds. Control panel device manager says all devices including floppy drive and floppy controller working ok.

So, I tried removing the device in control manager and re-installing it. Same thing. I tried removing both the floppy and floppy controller and reinstalling both. Same problem.

I have another new floppy diskette drive so I removed the old one and installed the new one. Add hardware wizard picked it up with no problem. It still does not work. All diskettes I put into it end in the same result... "no diskette in drive"

What am I missing?

i would look into the BIOS by pressing DEL or one of the function keys (f8, f4, ect) when the machine first boots up. look to see if the floppy drive is enabled and set to 1.44MB (assuming it is 1.44).

also you may try to set it to enable 3rd mode support (or something similair to this). you should also try another floppy cable in case it is damaged. if all else fails i would suspect a bad floppy controller. thmeaning the hardware on the motherboard that controls the floppy drive is bad.

It seems I am a step closer. I had checked the bios but I did not think of setting 3rd mode support as I had though it wa for Japan 1.2Mb only. Anyway, I set it to 3rd mode. Now when I pop in a diskette, it says diskette is not formatted, do you want to format now? When I pop in a diskette, it does not display the contents like I want it to though.

it could be a problem with windows not accessing it properly. if you have a windows 98 or millenium startup diskette try to put it in the floppy drive and restart your computer. if it boots up fine from the floppy in DOS i would suspect windows.

what did you mean when you said it doesn't diplay it like you want?

Normally when you click on "A" it will display the files that are on it. It does not do that. Now when I click on it, it says diskette in A is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?

Problem is fixed now. I replaced the floppy i/o cable and set 3rd mode to disable. Thanks guys for the tips.

Glad you got it!!!

I would have said check the Pins for a bent one,, and reseat the cable,,

sometimes they get crimped from lack of space and shoving your hands in there = broken wire and lost check,,

Good Stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom