Still Undecided!! LCD or CRT...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always suggest this to people who are deciding on monitors. We are all used to buying online, and not physicaly seeing it until it arrives in the mail. this is fine because the only thing that matters on computer parts is performance, which can be seen online. Monitors are different. what it actully looks like matter. in fact thats the only thing that matters. (the screen, not monitor as a whole)

Try this. Get up out of ur chair, go to ur car and actualy drive to a comp or electronics store and look at the monitors on display. see for yourself what the difference is in dot pitch, compare lcd's to crt's. pick one out that you like, and remember the model. go back home and order that online, because it will obvioulsy be cheaper online than in a retail store.

dale5605 said:
Well of course if you compare a modern LCD monitor to an out-of-date hunk of junk CRT from 5 years ago then LCD will look better. CRT's can have flat screens, mine does. So, right back at ya, CRT's have improved much over the years just like LCD's have. So try looking at a modern CRT like my NEC Multisync FE991SB SuperBright Diamondtron before making judgements...

My IIyama Visionmaster from 1997 has a flat Diamondtron tube.

ATM i play a boat load of Guild Wars. I have Battlefield 2 on Pre-Order, and i can't wait for that. I beat Doom 3 and got bored of it. From time to time i do alot of photoshop work as well. The colors and things i render are very clear.

Cheers-:D

dale5605 said:
Since when is this true?

when's what true?? :confused:

i had bad vision while i was using CRT's, as soon as i got an LCD, my vision stopped damageing, and even improved... :p

TheMajor said:
You will notice the lag when switching from CRT to LCD, though.

that's only if you get a really crappy LCD that you get from a trift store of garage sale... :p

there is "scientific evidence" that LCD's are better on your eyes, because LCD's don't work the same way as CRT's..

CRT's: a GUN!! at the back of the tube SHOOTS RAY LASERS at your EYE, and blinks it 60-85 times per second... :eek: they even radiate a field around the screen, which you can sometimes see when you are video taping your screen. That's what damages your eyes...

LCD's: Liquid Crystals change colors when electricity flows through them at given volts/frequency...

the reason some ppl say they are slow, is because they had an old LCD, and the technology improved FAST, so even if your LCD is 2 yrs old, it's still outdated....

if you want to see how LCD's work, go to www.howstuffworks.com and do a quick search on LCD's

Slayer:
I understand the idea of going to an electronics store, but for me its hard to tell just staring at the desktop, versus playing a game, something with movement...Also some stores "ie STaples, Office Depot seem to have older models they obviously cant sell, and I would like to get as new as possible. I will however go to a few other places; we now have a Bestbuy up here in Canada....
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR REPLIES, KEEP EM COMIN/ I'M STILL UNDECIDED....

pc_boy said:
when's what true?? :confused:

i had bad vision while i was using CRT's, as soon as i got an LCD, my vision stopped damageing, and even improved... :p

I think your exagerating a bit...

CRT's: a GUN!! at the back of the tube SHOOTS RAY LASERS at your EYE, and blinks it 60-85 times per second... they even radiate a field around the screen, which you can sometimes see when you are video taping your screen. That's what damages your eyes...

It wont hurt you badly, unless you hump the screen for 48 hours. Then, not only are you infertile, but your out of your bloody mind.

I have read all of the posts here and still cant see why you would go for a CRT. I have used some 'very' expensive CRTs which gave a very nice even balanced picture - these cost far more than a good LCD monitor. The kind of CRT you would be buying would have no clear advantages over LCD. It would be big, bulky, use more power, give off more heat, burn your eyes, flicker, reflect more light and on top of all that we have the very important issue of having problems when you move between the north and south hemisphere of the earth!!!

Like i said i am not a hardcore gamer but... i noticed no lag between switching to LCD from CRT what i did notice was that on darker areas of maps i could actually see what was there since i didnt have reflections (yes this is with a flat CRT) shining back at me. The problem with CRTs is that the CRTs fire light at a glass screen, which is generally pretty thick so your image is set back a bit and you have two surfaces for light to reflect off of. With an LCD panel you have a very thin film which contains the liquid crystal and nothing is projected so there are less projections and you get a smoother more pleasing image.

CRT.....cheap reliable and ive never seen a dead pixel on a CRT. better viewing angle. this sounds like a stupid point but when you have someone leaning over your shoulder breathing in your ear you'll c what i mean, CRT people can see easier from the side. btw maybe its just me but i thought a flatscreen CRT was FLAT? so the point about a curved screen is irrelevant. i wouldnt call CRT a gun but it is true. the reason looking at an LCD screen is different to a CRT is because an lcd screen is light passed through a series of screens where CRT actually projects light at you. but still im cheap and i like the versatility of the tried and true CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom