Still Undecided!! LCD or CRT...help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
fitzjj said:
quick bit of maths:

CRT at say 70Hz is pretty much comparable to an LCD panel with a response time of around 14ms although it does depend on what changes so more likely around 12ms - Looking at the monitors vaderpro has posted it seems that response time of LCDs is not an issue at all considering some of these have response times of 8ms and should more than match the performance of your regular CRT

Refresh rate is not related to response time. Even the cheapest 20 year old CRT will have a better response time than 8ms AFAIK.

refresh rate is how many times the screen refreshes per second. response time is the time it takes to redraw a pixel on an LCD display. Clearly they are different and under different conditions the response time will be inconsistent where as the refresh rate will remain constant. If you refresh at 70Hz it means you update the screen every 0.014 seconds unlike with a response time of 8ms where you update every 0.008 seconds. - quite how much is updated in that time i dont know!! but with a CRT you are garanteed to update the whole screen in that time.

why dont you just get a new LCD and then if it is so dreadfully horrible for gaming as everyone makes it out to be then use your CRT. although i highly doubt it will be that bad. i have a crappy 15" LCD from when they first came out (i dont have enough room for a CRT) and the graphics look great and idk what the response time is but i dont feel any lag. i would get LCD if i were you just because i like mine compared to my parents 17" CRT.

in short, go LCD

I have a Samsung "SyncMater 730B and is an awesome LCD with 8ms. Havent had no problems with it, had it for about a year.

Major:
You are a Lord Techie thus your opinion matters to me. But have you actually tried playing say, HL2 with a LCD and a CRT?? ; to notice the difference?

No, but I played a few other games like Ravenshield on LCD and CRT looked better. It's not just a matter of response time, it's also a matter of colors, contrast and brightness. In my opinion the pixels on LCD's look too much like squares. It hurts my eyes (not in games but in Windows).

lerch said:
I have an envision 17" LCD and I love it. Like pc_boy said, I went to my parents PC and the picture was crap. LCD's have a sharper image, they safe for your eyes ;) and (in the case at my parents house) LCD screens are flat :p That bothered me so much looking at a curved screen. I play BF1942 and other game and I think the LCD is better. Because the image is sharper, it makes the game in general better.

People are saying, if your a gamer, get CRT. But thats several years back. LCD's have improved so much.

Get LCD ;), thats my opinion
Well of course if you compare a modern LCD monitor to an out-of-date hunk of junk CRT from 5 years ago then LCD will look better. CRT's can have flat screens, mine does. So, right back at ya, CRT's have improved much over the years just like LCD's have. So try looking at a modern CRT like my NEC Multisync FE991SB SuperBright Diamondtron before making judgements...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom