Several questions about AMD 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Ok folks, as I have mentioned before I'm looking into buying an AMD 64 (socket 939) CPU, most probably a 3200. Thing is I've got a few questions.
Ok, here they are

(1) Would an AMD 64 3200 be that much of an improvement compared to an AMD XP 2800?
(2) How come some people ask if "does game X support 64 bit proccessing?". Surely if you have a 64 bit CPU it will run with 64 bit proccesing or whatever?
(3) There is a 64 bit Windows OS is there not? What the hell is this? Can someone explain why their would be this OS.....

Cheers folks, as always I'm sure you'll be useful with your techy knowledge.

1: yes it will be
2: all games will run with the 64bit processor if your running a OS that supports the game.
3: Windows Xp Pro X64 is released i think, and runs only with 64bit CPU's. When using that OS you can only run 32bit and 64bit programs, So that means if anything you have is even part 16bit it wont run right.

2: all games will run with the 64bit processor if your running a OS that supports the game.
....ok....the games may RUN on the 64bit CPU....this of course is true......but the game is still running in a 32bit way.......it's only recently that Far Cry had a patch released to truly let it run and take advantage of 64bit processing....besides that, other games are simply 32bit.

I believe there is only beta versions of Windows64 out for the most part......not real legit stable marketed 64OS....which won't be until longhorn in approx 2006...

As far as question 1, yes there will be....the AMD64's are better processors in terms of clock to clock speed, but not only that, the memory bandwidth is basically doubled that of the socket A systems so you get a lot more out of your PC3200 RAM.

I'm sure theres a full copy of Xp Pro X64 being sold some wheres on newegg because i saw a copy on there........ Anyways it's no longer in beta phase, people can trade in there xp pro cd keys to be disabled and to get a free full copy of x64.

So i wouldn't need to upgrade my OS to take advantage of the power of a 64 bit cpu then?

Umm, hard to explain. You will use the power of the cpu without upgrading your OS, but if you want to run 64 bit applications in true 64 bit with your 64 bit processor you need a 64 bit operating system.
If you just use normal windows then you won't be running any thing in 64 bit, you will still be running 32 bit even though you have a 64 bit processor, it will only be running 32 bit.
It would be a good idea to get Windows 64 bit edition though because you can still run 32 bit programs just fine on it, as well as running 64 bit programs in 64 bit. There are a few different 64 bit programs out and coming out now, so it might be worth it to jump on the ball. Internet Explorer, far cry I guess, .NET framework, Java, and a few others are 64 bit.

I would wait a year or so after microsoft's release of anything because of security issue's. There x64 was rushed i think. Like all there other crap

basically the point is, latest I heard the 64bit OS isn't at all worth getting......quite buggy and not a lot has been written for it as well. It's not a complete OS like WinXP was when it was first released as far as marketing goes.......when you start seeing advertisements and news articles about THE LATEST AND GREATEST OS SYSTEM blah blah blah, then that'll be the official 64bit OS by which time everything should be more situated

Diabetic said:
Ok, now, where can i get me some money to actually purchase this upgrade.... :p
I always pick from my money tree in my backyard, but other people work for it...

Oh and running two partitions one with xp 32 bit and the other with 64 bit couldn't hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom