TF Advanced Section Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
tmanw88 said:
some people don't actually have any experience or know about what they are talking about, they just have read what someone has said about it before, and all of the sudden they are the authority on it.

:p:p:p:p You just hit the nail on the head,We have lot's of little poser's here that think they know everything and can do everything,But believe me their is only a couple dude's here that know what they are talking about ;)

Shumway said:
:p:p:p:p You just hit the nail on the head,We have lot's of little poser's here that think they know everything and can do everything,But believe me their is only a couple dude's here that know what they are talking about ;)

Cant wait for the quiz, so we can actually see who knows what about what.Although the poseurs will have the internet at their fingertips, and will find the answers quite easily. That will just be another way for the poseurs to say "Hey, I know so much more than you! Look at my quiz score!"

You guys know who you are...

I read this thread with great interest. I am over retirement age, female, and until 5 yrs ago, knew darn little about puters. I started out in the mid 80's with a TRS-80 (huge, formidable, and impossible for me to learn to do much of anything) that my 14 yr old son programmed an accounting program for my business. Went from there thru MS-DOS, and up to the XP I have today. I've learned how to do a lot on computers, and would love to learn to do more. People my age (for the most part) are afraid of puters, use them only for game sites and email. Don't give up the ghost, there are many of us out here willing and able to learn IF we don't get hit with acronyms that fly over the top of our white heads *grin*

Piney

Piney said:
IF we don't get hit with acronyms that fly over the top of our white heads *grin*

I'm glad that, even though computers are quite intimidating, especially for older people like yourself, you are quite willing to learn about them. That shows alot, and I, as well as many other people, really like helping out people who really do want to be helped and to learn.

As for the acronym part, well, ouch. Thats one of those things that comes with the territory. If you want to learn about computers, you have to learn the acronyms. They are almost the main part about computers, as every aspect of computers have numerous acronyms. FOr the most part, if it is a more difficult and not widely known acronym, I will state the acronym and put in parenthesis the actualy meaning.
Ex: DDoS.: Distributed Denial of Service
An acronym like that may or may not be spelled out, but other ones like HDD will not be since it should be known by everyone. (It stands for Hard Disk Drive).

I will try to help as much as possible, and I'm sure many other members will be more than happy to help you out. Any questions about stuff, feel free to PM me and I will help you out.
Good luck, and welcome to TF!

-Bones

I'm doing all I can, but I think I've done as much as I can. You should PM Larry and show your support. Also Dave (DMo) the S mod, and jaksbak. It is time for people to start expressing their want for this! Make your voice heard!

I saw this today actually. Someone was asking about processors, said he needed a good motherboard for an AMD 754. I was trying to help him, because the way it was worded it sounded like he already had the processor and needed a motherboard for it. The next response was "Get a 939, the 754 sucks" What the hell? That dosent help him at all. When someone comes looking to build a PC on a budget, people tell them to get all top of the line stuff. Great, that would be a great machine if he had $900 to spend! But he only has $400 so give him some good recommendations. Yet they still do the aforementioned immature responses.

As you can see in my sig, my specs aren’t exactly top of the line but, I agree completely with what you said above... just cause the parts aren't top of the line doesn't mean they suck

That was the same with me, sorta. My first computer came from my dads work, he got it when he finished the job. It was an old 486DX4 100MHz and I learned everything on that. My next computer was a P3 450MHZ and I got that for christmas. Now all my computer stuff i bought by me, for me.

my first comp was an old apple... eventually my older bro gave me about 20 old broken computers, I got about three to work, although I was short on hard drives, the first computer that i began useing was and old compaq deskpro 2000 @ 166MHz, and eventually someone gave me a compaq deskpro 4000 @ 200 which I overclocked to 233. later I met this old guy who seems to know everything bout computers and he helped me fix an hp pavilion 4450 @ 500 this I used for a long time until around my 17 birthday when I had finally saved enough money ot buy, in pieces, what I use now...
\/
\/
\/
\/
\/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom