w2k will not shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

narcot1kz

Baseband Member
when i try to shut down it jus hangs .. doeanst go to the saving your settings screen anymore,.. it just sits there and I tried virus scanning and ad aware scanning does anyone know how to fix this or what could be causing the problem?

(CPU) 1-Intel Pentium III (Cu), 680MHz, 256KB (50% Load) .:. (RAM) usage: 210/512MB (41.02%) .:.
(GFX) RADEON 7500, (Display) 1024x768/32bit/60Hz
(OS) Windows 2000 Professional

this may not be the best way to diagnose your problem but...your machine is probably hanging trying to end a program or process. open your command prompt and type in msconfig.

once there i would check what is running in services tab and check what is being run at startup. check the box that says hide all microsoft services. from there i would uncheck things and try to reboot to see what happens after changes are made.

if this is a recent problem check what recent software you have installed in add/ remove utility.

try closing down everything manually before shutdown. i had that problem before on 2k (before i went to linux) and at the time i didnt realize my anti-virus software had a built in firewall in it... and i was also running zonealarm... the two were fighting for control of the ports causing it to hang... your problem could be of this same nature.

closing everything as in what ? lol I closed all the program i had open if thats what you mean but it still sits there :(

I would boot to safe mode and then see if it shuts down OK
If it does then you know it is a driver/program conflict that is causing it to hang (Since Safe Mode only uses minimal drivers)
Next step would be to follow the suggestions here and find the culprit manually
Cheers
t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom