HELP, TCP Not working!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gold_warlord24

Beta member
TCP is not working on my other computer! UDP is still operational so I can still play games but I can't go2 any webpages or do anything that you would do with TCP sockets.

I've tried uninstalling my usb modem software and reinstalling (I'm on adsl broadband), I've done 2 system restores and I've registered every system dll and ocx on my computer.

Some1 help!

ping your localhost and see what you get.

if you don't know how, get to a command prompt and type:

ping localhost

I get a reply, no timeout.

I found somewhere that said about deleting these registry keys and then restarting and installing tcp/ip again. I tried it but it says it can't start the service and it seems like theres something wrong with my svchost exe.

If you get a reply from that then TCP/IP is installed correctly and it is functioning. Your problem maybe a connection, DNS or site error among other things.

Do a virus scan. There are several viruses out there that infect that file (svchost).

How are you connected? [ie. router, hub, ICS, modem]

Im connected with a usb adsl modem (Zoom).

When i startup my computer, my norton says TCP/IP not installed and the caption is for email protection. Also in my XP services, it says that TCP/IP is stopped and DHCP is stopped as well.

After about 5 mins of my comp being on, the svchost service under LOCAL SERVICE starts taking up all the computer memory so I end up ending the process.

I'll do a system scan now.

After about 5 mins of my comp being on, the svchost service under LOCAL SERVICE starts taking up all the computer memory so I end up ending the process.

It sounds like a virus.

Were you getting the TCP/IP not installed error and such before you deleted the registry keys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom