Cant share my files over a lan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadGoon

Solid State Member
Ok im on win2k, I know how to create shares and have done it, but when people try explore my PC over the network they get asked to enter a username and password. Seeing as I go to public lans Im not gonna be able to inform EVERYONE what it is and I just want it to be like most other peoples PCs and you just explore and see thier shared files without having to enter a username/password.

What settings do I have to have to do that? Ive got an Admin account, my account (with admin access, the one I use), and the Guest account. My windows logs in automaticlly with My account when I turn it on. The admin and my account both have passwords.

Help would be appreciated, want to be able to give and not just take at lans.

my opnions may or may not be accurate, but i think to share your files and folders over a LAN without people entering a password you may need to use another operating system.

i beleive win2k requires you to set a user account with name and password for each person who wants to share with you. win98/ ME/ XP do not have this problem. not 100% sure on this, lets wait to hear from someone else.

This is correct. You will have to setup a seperate account (user/pass) for each user for them to authenticate. Or, when you get the login prompt, just use the username and password of the user that is logged in on the 2000 PC. WinNT, 2000 and XP all function this way. Win9x may just ask you for a password depending how it is setup, otherwise, you can just get in and you won't have to authenticate.

-Michael

Easiest thing is to just enable the guest account if you use it at multiple locations so you dont have to make a bunch of accounts.

Yep I just enabled the guest account and it all worked how I wanted. Also had to not disable the $IPC share.
Thanks for the help all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom