Which Processor is better for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD having shorter pipelines is a small contribute to its edge. AMD has HTT while Intel has HT. Intels HT works great for mulitasking. But HT works as a dual core, which not all applications are compatible with. All Microsoft applications are, since thats a regulation. But their are tons of application that cannot utilize this feature. One bad feature about Intels longer pipelines and HT. Is if data becomes corrupt, you have a bigger latency. But the worse thing about Intels, is that they have FSB. The FSB carries data from your processor, to vital computer entities. Such as your RAM, HDD, AGP, PCI, ect. Dont forget FSB does not work nearly as fast as modern processors. Thus FSB
is among another Latency in computers, just like RAM. So a 800mhz FSB is a bottleneck, even a 1ghz is. Which Intel equips their 1000$ EE with. What you want from a system, is everything to work near the same speeds. But when will we see 6ghz cpus, 6ghz FSB, and 6ghz RAM. When you have components that work with each other, but at different rates, you have a handicap system. But thats just normal. But one extremely GREAT contribute AMD64 has, is HTT. HTT is a unit built into the processor itself, which does the same task FSB does. HTT handles data from the processor, then distributes data where it needs to go. Just like FSB, it enables your processor to communicate with hardware devices. Dont forget FSB is integrated in the mobo, thus more latency you inherit. Since HTT is a unit built into the processor, you have the least amount of latency. Instead of data coming from the processor, to the fsb, then to hardware. It comes from the processor then striaght to computer entities. But what makes AMD64 socket 939 HTT so damn great, it works at 2ghz. Thats the biggest reason why AMD64 have such low
operating frequency's, but are great for instructions.

Another great feature about AMD64 socket 939, is they have REAL dual channel RAM. Not like Intels onboard dual channel RAM. AMD64 has a special DDR unit built into the processor. Which increases bandwidth eminently. Over all i think AMD is pure architecture, while Intel just keeps increasing operating frequency on their processors. But i like them both, since they triumph in various areas. I just respect AMD, unlike Intel.

zeroordie said:
LOL :p
o man, when i got my comp i wanted to buy an AMD 64 but the vendor said it had some bugs. it wouldnt play the sounds while running some games ??
so i got an Intel :( guess I got screwed :p
never heard of the before ,and also it is 3000+ not 3200+ for venice :D

Him said:
I havent really read too much on the San Diego cores, do you know how they stack up to, say, the Venice?
the San Diego and Venice are exactly the same, but the San Diego has 1MB L2 cache against the Venices 512KB. generally, more cache makes it faster.

Codeine[/i] [B]AMD having shorter pipelines is a small contribute to its edge. AMD has HTT while Intel has HT. Intels HT works great for mulitasking. But HT works as a dual core said:
Another great feature about AMD64 socket 939, is they have REAL dual channel RAM. Not like Intels onboard dual channel RAM. AMD64 has a special DDR unit built into the processor. Which increases bandwidth eminently. Over all i think AMD is pure architecture, while Intel just keeps increasing operating frequency on their processors. But i like them both, since they triumph in various areas. I just respect AMD, unlike Intel.
DDR means you have 2 sticks of DDR RAM, and they each have their own independant bus to the MCC. if you didn't have dual channel, your RAM would all share the same bus to the MCC, making it slower.
Intel's do have dual channel RAM, an 800MHZ FSB is enough for 2 DDR400 sticks in dual channel. however Athlon XP's only had a 400MHZ FSB, so they had a maximum of dual channel DDR200, or single channel DDR400 unless you overclocked. sometimes motherboards let you use dual channel, but it didn't do much.

DDR RAM is measured in MHZ, but when you see a 400MHZ DDR RAM disk, it actually runs at 200MHZ, but transfers twice the data per clock cycle as SDRAM did. so they said it was 400 (more correctly it is DDR400)

If I was building a PC from scratch Id definately go with AMD. For those with normal budgets AMDs definately beat Intels. The prices for AMD kick ass, its unquestionable that you get more bang for your buck.

Im going to be buying a new CPU soon and I have a socket 478 mainboard so I really only have one choice when that time comes. The Northwood 3.2 P4. Its not all bad though since Northwoods run subtantially cooler than Prescotts and I do plan on overlocking the hell out of it.

Doesn't more cash have diminishing returns? I heard that the returns for more cash was very very steep.

Everyone who posted here is wrong, INTEL RULES!!! Kidding... But seriously this has been talked about so much... Isn't there a sticky on it too?

Apokalipse, your wrong man. FSB not only sends data to your RAM, but other computer entities. Like i said, it communicates from the processor, to other components. Such as RAM, HDD, and PCI. RAM is among one of the few components your FSB communicates with. Thats just a small portion of FSB occupation. FSB has been removed for the On Die Memery Controler. HT is a single path connection for computer components to communicate with hardware devices. So in a sense, its not really a fsb. FSB was used for striaght communication reasons. HT just set's the path for bytes of data, so it can channel to hardware entities.

When you say MCC, are you refering to Multiversion concurrency control?

woot6600GT said:
Everyone who posted here is wrong, INTEL RULES!!! Kidding... But seriously this has been talked about so much... Isn't there a sticky on it too?
whats a sticky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom