newww computerrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

god

Banned
so i've been gone from civilization for about a year. when i came back i found that my computer had been taken by a family member, and now i have to build a new one... darn.

I really have not kept up with hardware in the past year, and well, i need some suggestions.

I really want to play halflife 2 and doom 3 .. so keep that in mind...

Thanks!

first of all wuts ur budget? if its around $1000 +-500, i could suggest some stuff.
mobo - DFI LANParty NF3
cpu - amd athlon 64 3500+
vid - nvidia 6800gt
case - thermaltake tsunami (i love this case)
hard drive - western digital, seagate 120gb
ram - corsair or ocz or kingston depending 1 gig
you can decide on the little things this is just to start u off. :)

something like what 003 has is good if ur willing to spend $1200+ on ur stuff. itll run hl2 and doom3 great!

is the speed of my ram going to effect performance a lot?

oh ahnd i was thinking around 1200 soo thanks guys

after 1 gig of ram, if u add more, it will not affect the performance of ur computer as much.

Tang841 said:
after 1 gig of ram, if u add more, it will not affect the performance of ur computer as much.
I think he meant speed of the ram, i.e. 200mhz, not how much of it.

Tang as long as you get PC-3200 going any faster than that won't affect performance because the ram will just clock itself down to PC-3200 speeds to match the FSB/HTT speed.

Tang841 said:
first of all wuts ur budget? if its around $1000 +-500, i could suggest some stuff.
mobo - DFI LANParty NF3
cpu - amd athlon 64 3500+
vid - nvidia 6800gt
case - thermaltake tsunami (i love this case)
hard drive - western digital, seagate 120gb
ram - corsair or ocz or kingston depending 1 gig
you can decide on the little things this is just to start u off. :)

bad

few changes:

lanparty NF3 --> dfi lanparty ultra-d nf4
3500+ --> 3200+
6800GT --> wait for the new 7800/R520 series??
TT --> yes, great case
WD/seagate are best hdd brands
ram- a gig of twinmos can be found on newegg for $86 and can be overclocked well with this dfi board since it provides up to 4vdimm as opposed to the ~2.8 from similar boards (i.e. asus a8n)

Waiting for new video cards might be a good idea. I made the mistake of not waiting for the Venice cores when I bought my AMD. I am very much regretting that now.

what diablo said raises a question of my own. When is the 7800 comming out? I am all ready planning on getting the 6800gt whenever I get the money...which should be August.

Will the new series be out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom