Need help building a gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan2071

Solid State Member
As the title says I'm trying to build a gaming computer, and I need some advice on what you guys would think is best. I'm trying to keep it as cheap as possible but I don't want to short change myself either. So here is what I've got so far:

The only sure thing I have right now is my matrox 120GB 7200rpm hard drive(which I had to fist fight my way through Best Buy at 6 am to get for $50 brand new:D) The rest is just what I'm leaning towards as of now.

AMD Athlon XP 2500-2800

RADEON 9000 (or higher) 128MB video card, or a Cheaper Ge Force 4 128MB video card

300W case W/fan

PC2700 DDR 256 or 512 MB memory(I'm not sure which, is there a "visible" difference between the two?)

I'll probably pull my sound blaster PCI 128 out of my old PC unless they've gotten a whole lot cheaper.

I'm looking into bare bones systems because I can pull all of the other stuff out of my old PC and I'll be buying everything else off of pricewatch.com, as I'm trying to keep the total cost under $300 (like it will happen) but at least as close as possible.

The big problem for me is Motherboards, I don't know too much about these really so any suggestions would be helpful.

But any advice on anything at all would be greatly appreciated as well.

go with:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
ATi Radeon 9600Pro or Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Ultra (I recommend ATi)
1GB(2x512MB) Kingston HyperX DDR400/PC3200, or to save money, DDR333/PC2700
Get a new soundcard...Creative Labs SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS

and get the mobo after you've decided on the other hardware to find one that will support your hardware decisions. Good brands are Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, SiS/Via/KT, Soyo, and Shuttle, Epox, and ECS.

Well, if u got the cash go the ati, hell go the ati anyways if u want dx9, otherwise u gotta go for the uburkind ti4200 but that is only 8.1 compatible.

As for processor, try and get a 2500 barton core, they knock around for nowt these days and are wonderfully overclockable.

As for a mobo, i have nothing bad to say about the asus a7v8x-x

i know its only the via 400 chipset, but seriuosly u wont find a more serious gamer than me, if u can afford it yeah get the kingston ram, but if the purse is pulling tight get some 2700 or 3200 ddr OEM stuff.

Again back to the cards i personally reccommend HIS(hightech infomation systems) cards, im running a 9800 pro iceq with dhes heat control. its a great overclocker, ive got mine up to 9800 pro xt speeds with ease, but im dubious as to wheter i shud go higher, altho i emailed hightech and they said since the card is desinged for ocing as long as u do it slowly and carefully, u shud be sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom