Baseband Member
The case Im planning to get has the ability to support:

4x 80mm fans FRONT
2x 80mm fans BACK

OR

1x 120mm fan FRONT
1x 120mm fan BACK

AND 1x 80mm fan SIDE

Its a Mid-Tower ATX case and Im new to this whole overclocking thing so I dont know much about fans and moving air. I know the basics like front/low to back/high but Id really appreciate any info. What are the advantages of having a lot of little fans pushing air compared to a big fan pushing A LOT of air?? Which is better? Noise isnt really a factor but I dont want it to sound like my PC is about to implode.

Should I go with 7x 80mm fans or 2x 120mm fans + an 80mm side intake? Any recommendations on specific case fans? Right now Im leaning towards 2x 120mm fans simply because it sounds easier, and just picturing 4 80mm fans on the front of my system looks retarded when I could just get a monster fan to put on each side and be done with it.

No way Im going to use up all 7, maybe 2 in the front 2 in the back plus the side intake at the most. I just want to know which is more practical.

Are good 120mm fans freakishly loud?

Good 120mm fans are pretty quiet.

120mm front and back is your best bet. 80mm side intake might be a good idea too if your cpu is getting toasty (assuming the intake is pointing at your cpu). Lots of 80 mm fans are going to make your computer sound like a jet engine, and won't really be a whole lot better than just 2-120 mm fans

Also, remember to tidy up your cables. These can have an impact on front-back airflow.

Good ones are pretty quiet, its the crappy ones that are loud. More fans the better, wahts your setup?

-Ryan

There is no such thing as too many fans, and you can never do only so much with air cooling. If you know what you are doing, you could get some seriously cold temps!

What is recommended in a situation like yours is to go with the 120MM fans. They obviously move more air than the 80MM, and you can also turn them down so they are not as loud but they will still move as much air as an 80MM. The bigger fans the better, as more air will be moving around.

Him said:
There is no such thing as too many fans, and you can never do only so much with air cooling. If you know what you are doing, you could get some seriously cold temps!

If your cooling with fan's you can never get your cpu colder than what your room is.

Or I could just move my desk into a walkin freezer, hows that? Haha. Ive been looking at 120mm fans and some move over 90 cfm! Thats crazy, but they have to be loud I know it. What about smart fans that adjust RPM with temperature? Theres so many damn fans out there I dont know what to do. Any recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom